Saluki expatriate now in MN

Hertervillian

Born and raised on the prairie, a job transfer brought me to the relative paradise that is MN 17yrs ago.

ive bow hunted since the mid 70’s, starting with a 30# York Cadet target bow, progressing through 4 compounds and back to a vintage Bear recurve and Wapiti Spike longbow. Shredded rotator cuff has sidelined the archery for a few years now.

11 years ago I started a journey that has changed my hunting immeasurably. Western hunting and Elk, I’m simply ate up with these majestic animal. Elk hunting is how I found Randy and the Hunttalk world.

Having lurked here for a couple years it’s time I joined. Randy was instrumental in my purchase of a Howa actioned Weatherby and getting it properly scoped made me join. I enjoy the “sales pitch” Randy employs, this is what I do, I did it before I got paid to do it.
Not sure I can contribute much expertise, but I can be a poor example.

Southern Illinois University Mascot is the Saluki. I can retain a bit of dignity by not mentioning the state of corruption I hale from.;)

But are you originally from that region? I grew up about an hour Northwest of there, close to the river- but now I'm in Montana.

I started calling that part of southern Illinois the "Hill country", to differentiate it from the endless barren cornfields up north.

Welcome to the forum.

Southern Illinois University Mascot is the Saluki. I can retain a bit of dignity by not mentioning the state of corruption I hale from.;)
I did a fair amount of underage drinking in Carbondale and thought long and hard about going to school there because of the national forest right off campus! Welcome to hunttalk!

But are you originally from that region? I grew up about an hour Northwest of there, close to the river- but now I'm in Montana.

I started calling that part of southern Illinois the "Hill country", to differentiate it from the endless barren cornfields up north.

Welcome to the forum.
South of I-64 is not Illinois in my opinion. It should be annexed to MO or perhaps IN. I spent 10 years planning and saving for my escape. Oh to be in the Rockies, free transfer through the company was a Godsend I could not pass up.
I grew up near Champaign/Urbana. Seeing water towers 20 miles in the distance, 30 if you stepped up on a brick.

South of I-64 is not Illinois in my opinion. It should be annexed to MO or perhaps IN. I spent 10 years planning and saving for my escape. Oh to be in the Rockies, free transfer through the company was a Godsend I could not pass up.
I grew up near Champaign/Urbana. Seeing water towers 20 miles in the distance, 30 if you stepped up on a brick.

Agreed- it's better. I kinda miss the fishing there. Culturally closer to either Missouri or Kentucky. I might move back if they break away from Chicagoland. But probably go to the Ozarks instead, since they might have a job for me in the next 10 years.

Ozarks are pretty nice from September through November then again February through May. The humidity is a killer though. I’d go pure unadulterated Ozarks myself. What could Springfield add that would be of value?
I have family near Hamilton and distant family near Libby. It’s wonderful country, but a bit hard to make a comfortable livin. My sister gave it 3 years and had to work 2 jobs and was just getting by. Cousins similar stories, uncle and aunt emigrated from, California 20 odd years ago.

Ozarks are great any month but February- either hunting or fishing or hiking. I wish they had better waterfowl hunting, but oh well.

If the cobalt project gets going, that would be my area. But Illinois still has family for me, so it has to be considered in the backup plan (for the time being). Fishing in the 618 is incredible, though.

Back