MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MN to NW MT

LD Jig 'Em

Moved from MN to NW MT 2 years ago. This coming fall will be my 3rd season as a resident. Spent my years of non-resident hunts with old pals from Butte/Bozeman/Three Forks in the Pintlers and out East towards Glendive. I've been a lurker on the site for over 4 years, figured I'm due to join now that it's time to get serious being my 3rd solo big game season.
I appreciate the posts from the past and look forward to more learning in the future.
Last thought- I'm well aware of the rise of wolf and griz numbers across MT, especially in my district (district 1). Making the big game hunting tougher in an already knuckle buster of a district. That said wolf management is a top priority on my agenda as well as plenty a ticket for the heal-toe express for this big game season and the many to come.
I'll never ask for spots to hunt deer or elk! BUT any tips or tip-offs of wolf activity in D1 are always welcomed!

-LD

Keep the lines tight and the lead flyin'

Go VIkes. First off, it's Region 1, not District 1. There. Now you sound like a local. Good luck! I would get a Flathead National Forest and Kootenai NF map and start driving around. Find country that suits you and feels familiar. Go from there. Hard to lose.

Go VIkes. First off, it's Region 1, not District 1. There. Now you sound like a local. Good luck! I would get a Flathead National Forest and Kootenai NF map and start driving around. Find country that suits you and feels familiar. Go from there. Hard to lose.
"Region" haha got it! Thanks for the info, I'll take the help wherever I can get it!

Heel / toe will give you a leg up over many in R1. Tough pickings from heel / toe action as well though.
We give away tags as though our Region is over objective, in excess. Far from the case. The problem is... too many in R1 are hard of hearing with respect to limited tags. It's mostly blamed on predators (rightfully so, to some degree).
While I agree the most recent addition of apex predators, wolves, have harmed elk recovery, we need to drastically limit our free for all, tag giveaway even though our elk take is a fraction of the Regions w/ good elk, as our area should be.

To learn the heavy predator areas, chat w/ trappers. FWP biologists are under the same management who blindly give unrestricted elk tags. Many districts in R1 need to be managed much more in tune with the predator/ungulate populations and not those who think wolves fart rainbows. 😂

Best to ya! Elk are here. You're on the right track with your boot intent. A lot of 7 plated trucks are often found in other Regions for a reason.

Oh... Welcome lurker of years. 🙂

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back