Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Roosevelt Rifle Season

beerandpork

My buddy has a tag in Oregon unit 10 for the second rifle season (Nov 17-23, although we're only going to be able to hunt until the 20th). Never been out in that country, but from the e-scouting we've done, it looks steep and thick. Any tips on rifle hunting in that sort of environment? Not sure how to find sanctuary by looking at maps/GoogleEarth: there's roads everywhere. Just hike our butts off and look for steep and thick spots? Or is glassing likely to be helpful?

It's steep and brushy and will be likely very wet. If you can find a vantage to glass right at daylight you might catch some elk out in a clearcut right at daylight. That's probably how 75% of the bulls die. Once the sun comes up the elk will move into the thick stuff. That could be up down or sideways really depending on the specific location. I haven't rifle hunted in 25 years but some people that do have success tracking the elk down to their beds. They don't go far compared to Rocky Mt elk generally.

The only thing I can suggest for google earth scouting is to look for benches that are nearby prime looking clearcuts as in those that are not too thick to see into but have enough growth to have feed. Elk are getting hungry by second season and they have to get into some sort of opening to feed at night.

There are roads everywhere but it's a different deal than most people are used to. I have been .3 miles from the truck according to my GPS and wondered if I would ever make it out. The thickness makes up for the amount of roads.

Last edited:
Man, you weren't kidding about how thick it can be. We managed to find some forested stuff that was manageable, but lots of it was just impenetrable. And the weather was uncharacteristically dry. Didn't even have to dry out the wall tent after we got back to Portland, it never even got wet.

Saw plenty of cows and a few spikes, but no legal bulls. Still a good few days in the woods. Definitely planning on giving it another go next year, but might try for the first rifle season instead of second.

Sorry I missed Post was out of town then , unit 10 is my turf ,I live close by , I’m out there well over 100 hrs a year before season, have your friend in Portland spend more time there in the summer learning the land , to increase your chances , stick with it , 2nd season can be as good as the 1st , I tagged out on opening day 2nd season last year , and I got a bull 2nd day of 1st season this year , dad got a bull on Sunday the 18 of second season this year as well , just keep at it, what joe said is the same thing I would say, I would also strongly suggest your friend from Portland get an OTC Blacktail tag and hunt deer in the area he wants to hunt Roosevelt’s, which is another great way to learn the land , plus you can scout elk at the same time he’s hunting deer

Last edited:
Sorry I missed Post was out of town then , unit 10 is my turf ,I live close by , I’m out there well over 100 hrs a year before season, have your friend in Portland spend more time there in the summer learning the land , to increase your chances , stick with it , 2nd season can be as good as the 1st , I tagged out on opening day 2nd season last year , and I got a bull 2nd day of 1st season this year , dad got a bull on Sunday the 18 of second season this year as well , just keep at it, what joe said is the same thing I would say, I would also strongly suggest your friend from Portland get an OTC Blacktail tag and hunt deer in the area he wants to hunt Roosevelt’s, which is another great way to learn the land , plus you can scout elk at the same time he’s hunting deer
Excellent info, thanks. Unfortunately the buddy with the tag is not from Portland. We have some non-hunting friends in Portland, but scouting is all on the two of us non-locals. Definitely gonna try to spend at least a few days scouting before season next time.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back