RMEF projects

I believe all those rumors were started by a couple of yahoos sitting around at their local pub. RMEF has my support 100%. I have yet to meet a RMEF volunteer or paid employee who I wouldn't want to be friends with. The passion for conserving elk country and the hunt is always apparent. The on-the-ground work is always well done and supported by the local game managers. Some people just think it is too good to be true, and I suspect most of those people have never been out on a project and/or just want an excuse to not donate any money.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with where this went. I guess I made a slightly negative end post but I do think the first few posts that pointed out the critical portion of why those are done. I know there are projects that can be used but I'll find them I thought there was a map and maybe I was on it but there just aren't any projects in 4/5 in CO.

Without these nonprofits like RMEF DU and in california CA waterfowl it would have a huge negative impact. Both land wise, animal assistance, habitat , and government policy.

Is the RMEF perfect, no. But it's the best organization out there. Been a member for 17 years, chapter chairman 3 years and a committee volunteer. Elk Camp is a great place to meet other elk Hunter's like Randy. Here's an idea, join and see for yourself or work to change the things you don't like. Don't sit on the sidelines and complain.

After experiencing firsthand the devastation of this last winter, I will never underestimate the importance of the procurement of winter range. Anyone that hunts public land shouldn't.

That's a good point britany and I just listened to Randy's podcast about the elk cattle issues so that brought some light to the fact that maybe ranchers don't want them on their land.

Side track a moment. The fact the house in the Wall Creek purchase in SE MT that was auctioned off for what seems like a mere $20k + what I assume were moving costs always rubbed me slightly raw in the fact that only a select few apparently knew about it. I'm happy with what they do for Elk. Not happy that it seemed like this was saved for someone in the chain of command when I among others would have gladly bid on it Think of the extra cash that could have been brought in for habitat if some legit bidding be done at least for RMEF members. If only we had been "locals". But maybe I am seeing this wrong.

http://rmefblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/rmef-removes-house-restores-elk-habitat.html

Side track a moment. The fact the house in the Wall Creek purchase in SE MT that was auctioned off for what seems like a mere $20k + what I assume were moving costs always rubbed me slightly raw in the fact that only a select few apparently knew about it. I'm happy with what they do for Elk. Not happy that it seemed like this was saved for someone in the chain of command when I among others would have gladly bid on it Think of the extra cash that could have been brought in for habitat if some legit bidding be done at least for RMEF members. If only we had been "locals". But maybe I am seeing this wrong.

http://rmefblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/rmef-removes-house-restores-elk-habitat.html

Really? Hmmm.

It was advertised on the RMEF website.

It was mentioned as being for sale at our Bozeman RMEF big game banquet with 400+ flyers handed out at that event.

It was promoted for sale and at many other RMEF events.

Many efforts we made over the course of a year to sell it.

Was RMEF to look you up in the phone book and offer it to you as the manner that would prevent you from being "not happy." It is this kind of uninformed BS rumor and innuendo that gets hard to tolerate when people are uninformed yet profess to know what is going on.

RMEF sticks its financial neck out to secure one of the most critical pieces of winter range in SW Montana, yet some guy wasn't informed about the auction and now starts the rumor that the property was supposedly "saved for someone in the chain of command." Frankly, you are completely uniformed about that transaction and all the went to publicize and promote the sale in hopes of maximizing the revenue for mission enhancement.

Anytime a person wants more information about how RMEF handles transactions, I think everyone here knows how to get in touch with me. Might be more helpful than a post like you just made.

On a side note my family has moved a house from Bridger Canyon to Hyalite. I remember my dad trying to figure out the costs. He was then going to move the A-frame house up to Hebgen Lake area. It was way too much money. The fact that you need NorthWest Energy lifting power lines (they charge per line lifted) and then flagger shutting down lanes it can get pretty expensive $$$$. I'm not sure where the above mentioned home went but if it was headed a far distance someone ponied up some coin to do so.

Really? Hmmm.

It was advertised on the RMEF website.

It was mentioned as being for sale at our Bozeman RMEF big game banquet with 400+ flyers handed out at that event.

It was promoted for sale and at many other RMEF events.

Many efforts we made over the course of a year to sell it.

Was RMEF to look you up in the phone book and offer it to you as the manner that would prevent you from being "not happy." It is this kind of uninformed BS rumor and innuendo that gets hard to tolerate when people are uninformed yet profess to know what is going on.

RMEF sticks its financial neck out to secure one of the most critical pieces of winter range in SW Montana, yet some guy wasn't informed about the auction and now starts the rumor that the property was supposedly "saved for someone in the chain of command." Frankly, you are completely uniformed about that transaction and all the went to publicize and promote the sale in hopes of maximizing the revenue for mission enhancement.

Anytime a person wants more information about how RMEF handles transactions, I think everyone here knows how to get in touch with me. Might be more helpful than a post like you just made.

D'oh!!! He shoots he scores!!! :hump:

Last edited:
I understand where a lot of folks get upset about a conservation organization sponsoring private land work, however, I believe the bigger picture is often missed. In WNC the RMEF partnered with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and NC Wildlife Resource Commission and USFS to bring the Elk back. The Cataloochee Valley in Haywood County is the spot they all agreed on. The restoration had a few hiccups, but has been a huge success. I can take my sons to Cataloochee and they can hear an elk bugle. For those of you who have heard this your whole life, I envy you. I am in my early 30's and have just been privy to it over the past few years. Because of the RMEF, my sons are like the majority of you, they know that sound and will associate it with their childhood.
The re-introduction/restoration of the Elk has been a huge success in many areas. The RMEF and local folks have done an AMAZING job. But, the plans they have made for the future of the Elk in those areas have not been followed or utilized, especially here. The elk didn't get the memo that they were supposed to stay on the Park. The USFS didn't even consider Elk in any form of their initial evaluations and management objectives into the current Forest Plan Revision. The NCWRC has just now started considering a draw season, and many depredation permits were issued for Ag producers with the new rule being, if its in your crops or harassing your cows, you can legally shoot it. The thought on how we manage the habitat and how we live with Elk has been missed by many agencies in the public trust.
So, what would be the next step? Currently, many sportsmen and women are fighting for wildlife to come first on public lands, specifically those under Federal Management, and have a hard battle behind and in front of us. The state agencies manage their gamelands up here, but it is extremely fragmented (there is however a couple more projects going on with RMEF for land acquisitions and easements) and not in a close proximity to where the elk winter and generally are. So what solution can there be?
I have one I am working on. And it involves partnering with multiple agencies and NGO conservation organizations to implement the work. Cost-share rates are low for this area, standards and specifications are based off of the long-leaf pine and loblolly pine eco-systems. That dog wont hunt up here. The goals is to work with the groups to raise funds and match cost-share funds to increase the rate and develop a base-line for the Southern Appalachian region to increase cost-share rates, and change standards, specs and policies to reflect our diverse biome. Universities would also be involved to study the effects of practices, what species regenerate/occur after practices or disturbances, and how it effects multiple wildlife species. It wouldn't just be for large mammals, it would be for ALL the wildlife that occur here. But, it would be on private land. Because that is where we can work. There we do not have to have a public comment period or face litigation from a biased group. There we can actually utilize NEPA to put conservation on the ground. And if RMEF were to partner that would bother you?

I understand public access. Hell, its where I hunt. But before we (here in the Southern Apps especially) can get to that point, don't we need to worry about habitat and carrying capacity for the wildlife species? Does it not make sense to strive for habitat stewardship (regardless of landownership) after these successful restorations? Do we not want it to be a continued success? Would you not want to support an organization that uses funds or knowledge to help multiple wildlife species?

Is the RMEF perfect, no. But it's the best organization out there. Been a member for 17 years, chapter chairman 3 years and a committee volunteer. Elk Camp is a great place to meet other elk Hunter's like Randy. Here's an idea, join and see for yourself or work to change the things you don't like. Don't sit on the sidelines and complain.

Amen! Be the change you gripe about is becoming a bit of a motto of mine

Out of curiosity I was wondering what do the memberships yearly , lifetime, ect cost I believe they are an awesome organization.
I think they are far better than SFW and they keep there eye on the prize and are not crooks.
I would love to become a member with the way politicians are so corrupt these days.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back