Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rifle Project

fmnjr

I have a project in mind, not a full custom job, just thinking about a couple mods to a 308 Vanguard S2 Deluxe Sporter. The barrel is the biggest thing for me as I don't have any experience in choosing one. Been looking at contours and am considering something heavier than existing but still can be considered general use for range, varmint, big game? What's a good choice for something that could be considered quality grade could this be an easy DIY? Don't like the walnut stock either and am thinking of changing to something more appropriate for the field that doesn't get dinged so easy. Need a scope too but I think I know what I want for that already. Thanks for any pointers and suggestions. Link to barrel contours for reference: http://www.shilen.com/contours.html

Depends on what you want with weight and what size bullets you will be using in relation to twist rate. Some people like the carbon barrels that are available nowadays. I don't have one but my buddy bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 PRC a couple of years ago and it is a very nice set up. I believe his rifle weighs in around 6.8 lbs without any attachments including the scope. They are bit pricey though. I would like to have one for my .308 Remington 700 but haven't bit the bullet yet. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag Vanguard Badlands last year and I like it pretty well especially since I have had no previous experience with Weatherby or Howa.

I was in the same boat as you and ultimately decided to send it to a gunsmith to be rebarreled. Problem with the Vanguards and Howas is that they have metric threads and there is not much of a prefit selection. My local gunsmith will not cut metric threads. McGowen Precision makes a "Howage" prefit barrel that uses a barrel nut like a Savage. Take a look.

Depends on what you want with weight and what size bullets you will be using in relation to twist rate. Some people like the carbon barrels that are available nowadays. I don't have one but my buddy bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 PRC a couple of years ago and it is a very nice set up. I believe his rifle weighs in around 6.8 lbs without any attachments including the scope. They are bit pricey though. I would like to have one for my .308 Remington 700 but haven't bit the bullet yet. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag Vanguard Badlands last year and I like it pretty well especially since I have had no previous experience with Weatherby or Howa.

Bullets would range from something like Nosler 110 up through 180 Barnes or Nosler. Hadn't even thought of going carbon, I'll give it more consideration.

A 3b (Shilen #5 is comparable) contour is about as big as I would go if I'm going to haul it around a lot, personally.

Edit: Meant to type Shilen, not Bartlein.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you and ultimately decided to send it to a gunsmith to be rebarreled. Problem with the Vanguards and Howas is that they have metric threads and there is not much of a prefit selection. My local gunsmith will not cut metric threads. McGowen Precision makes a "Howage" prefit barrel that uses a barrel nut like a Savage. Take a look.

The Howage is interesting: https://mcgowenbarrel.com/the-howage/ - not extreme pricing either.

Bullets would range from something like Nosler 110 up through 180 Barnes or Nosler. Hadn't even thought of going carbon, I'll give it more consideration.
Other companies that make carbon barrels are proof research, carbon six and numerous others. You could get a bull barrel type setup with half the weight but you also be offloading more of your wallet too. I think 1/10 is the most common and it allows you shoot the heavier bullets.

Here’s another option, Proof Research makes a cheaper gun for less than $2000 , Howa now sells a line of guns with a carbon Proof barrel for around the same price. They’re worth a look. I know these are on the lower end, but you’re most likely going to spend more building what you have. Kick the tires!

Here’s another option, Proof Research makes a cheaper gun for less than $2000 , Howa now sells a line of guns with a carbon Proof barrel for around the same price. They’re worth a look. I know these are on the lower end, but you’re most likely going to spend more building what you have. Kick the tires!
I was wondering when someone would say something like that. I’ll look into it thanks

My owns a Proof 300 win mag, he got a great deal about 4 plus years ago. I should had bought one to.

Those appear to be really nice weapons they make. Really nice. It does make one wonder whether or not the effort of putting together a rifle on your own is worth effort, if you don't count that you like doing projects.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back