Caribou Gear Tarp

Rifle/Cartridge Considerations

I realize this caliber may be on the light side, but how do those of you who have taken lopes feel about the .22-250 using Nosler Bonded Performance Bullets 22 Caliber 64 Grain Spitzer? :D

Inside a couple hundred yards if you are confident with your shooting ability they would work just fine. I use 80gr amax's at just over 3100fps with no issues blowing holes in their lungs. If your not hunting in your backyard though (I live in antelope country) there is no point in going with minimum. If I had to travel to hunt antelope I wouldn't take my 22-250.

I have skinned and butchered alot of whitetail deer from Michigan shot with 60gr partitions from 223s and antelope tip over easier than most whitetail.

Inside a couple hundred yards if you are confident with your shooting ability they would work just fine. I use 80gr amax's at just over 3100fps with no issues blowing holes in their lungs. If your not hunting in your backyard though (I live in antelope country) there is no point in going with minimum. If I had to travel to hunt antelope I wouldn't take my 22-250.

I have skinned and butchered alot of whitetail deer from Michigan shot with 60gr partitions from 223s and antelope tip over easier than most whitetail.

Yep. It will work, but why even use a small caliber rifle when you have other good options?

Yep. It will work, but why even use a small caliber rifle when you have other good options?

For me personally I spend alot of time with my 22-250 shooting steel and pdogs at unreasonable ranges. I shoot that specific rifle alot and feel good about what I can and can't do with it in field positions. That and it sounds good suppressed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote the use of 22 calibers for hunting big game, it's just when people are concerned that a 243 is to small for antelope I like to share my experience with them. It is very rare that I would suggest someone bring anything smaller than a 243 or 25-06 to Wyoming to hunt.

All Very Good Points

Everyone has made some very good comments relative to the .22-250 and it's efficacy on antelope. Why would I take it out of state? Because I like how it shoots, its very accurate, and I'm confident out to 300 yds I can put a well constructed bullet in the boiler room with little issues.

No, it's not a 25-06, .257, or .243 for that matter. However, I don't have any of those calibers on hand. I suppose I could load down my .308 with 110 gr bullets and likely have better insurance of dropping the animal humanely.

As for lopes, I'm not sure I personally would call them 'big game'. In my mind I would classify them as medium game. I know, state DNR's would say otherwise. But it's a relatively thin skinned, medium sized animal, not at all unlike the size of coastal California Blacktail.

.22's and wind don't mix. Sometimes the wind blows in antelope country. Use what you want, but be realistic too. mtmuley

Excellent Point

Since the .243 is really a necked down .308, and i think most would consider the .243 a good lope cartridge. I thought, why not load up my .308 with lighter bullets. I'm considering using 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullet. :rolleyes:

.22's and wind don't mix. Sometimes the wind blows in antelope country. Use what you want, but be realistic too. mtmuley

Just use the same load you use for deer/elk unless you just like to tinker. If you do, I'd go with 100-110gr bullets as fast as you can push them.

Bowhunter60, I am actually going heavier to caliber with my 7mm RM. I'm going to shoot a 168gr. from it. I have not run it through my ballistic program yet, but I believe it is going to fare better in the wind. FWIW I have killed a ton of white tails with the 150 gr. ballistic tip from my .30/06. It is devastating. Another good option for your .308 :cool:

Wind drift can be a big issue. Heavier bullets seems to defy it better here. I personally have witnessed a nosler ballistic tip bullet fired from a 257 weatherby mag explode on impact and never penetrate the vital area. These were the first ballistic tips out and not for high velocity hunting for sure.Don't lighten up your rounds just for flatter shooting. Buy some knee pads to get closer. Deer loads are great, shot placement is key.

I know many people that load them actually go up one size in weight.

This is interesting as I have experienced the opposite. I am currently shooting 180grn TTSX out of my 30-06, and I have had them pencil through antelope, as the harder copper requires more resistance to open than a lead core.

I would have actually recommended that you should step down a class to ensure the bullet opens, especially if you are shooting a heavier caliber.

BWCAtripper, I think a 130grn all copper out of your .270 would be perfect. Definitely no need to go up to a 150.

I agree. I too have experienced that. Just making a point that a light, varmint type bullet is not a good choice . Your recommendation sounds right on.

This is interesting as I have experienced the opposite. I am currently shooting 180grn TTSX out of my 30-06, and I have had them pencil through antelope, as the harder copper requires more resistance to open than a lead core.

I would have actually recommended that you should step down a class to ensure the bullet opens, especially if you are shooting a heavier caliber.

BWCAtripper, I think a 130grn all copper out of your .270 would be perfect. Definitely no need to go up to a 150.

Yes, the conventional wisdom is to go down in weight with the Barnes. One primary reason for this is they are longer than a lead core bullet of the same weight and one can run into seating issues and/or case capacity issues very quickly.

I shoot 85's out of my .243, 130's and 150's out of my wife's 30-06, and 185's out of my 338-06. I found one bullet that was a little light on expansion. It was from a reduced load out of the 30-06, that would have had a muzzle velocity of around 2100 fps.

I think the 130 in a .270 would be an outstanding choice.

It was from a reduced load out of the 30-06, that would have had a muzzle velocity of around 2100 fps.

I have recently noticed several bullet makers publish a min velocity for expansion. Most quality conventional hunting bullets I have looked up (Accubonds, Etips, TTSX) seem to be 1800FPS.

Thank you you for calling me out on this one. That should have read actually go downa size with the all copper bullets. As I mentioned, the weight retention is very good. As someone else mentioned, they typically are longer (generally better BC), I believe to to get up to weight with a less dense material(?). Thanks for the catch, and sorry for the dumb statement!

PS: I shoot the 140 gr. out of 7mm Rem Mag...basically normal bullet weight to cartridge.

Lumberjack,

Great points. You know, one of the things we can do with our time in the off season is test various loads. When I buy a bullet for reloading, I first and foremost consider bullet construction and its relation to the game I'm hunting. Once I make that decision, I load up 9-12 rounds with a given charge and head to the range. Then, the decision boils down to the ability of that bullet to print on target to my standards. Once I'm comfortable with the bullet's construction and at least MOA accuracy, I'm confident I can put it into the vital zone. The only variable that is less predictable is weather and wind. Yes, we can compensate to a degree for that, but we have to be honest, few hunters take the time to consider all the variables when hunting. We are, for the most part, creatures of habit. However, I'm a bit of an inquisitive sort as it relates to caliber, projectile, and game. I don't shoot a load simply because. All I want to know, is that my bullet will perform on target and get to the point I want it to.

All that said, I love the 150gr out of my .308. It's a killer for sure!

Bowhunter60, I am actually going heavier to caliber with my 7mm RM. I'm going to shoot a 168gr. from it. I have not run it through my ballistic program yet, but I believe it is going to fare better in the wind. FWIW I have killed a ton of white tails with the 150 gr. ballistic tip from my .30/06. It is devastating. Another good option for your .308 :cool:

This is a interesting thread. The one thing that really jumps out to me is the fact that everyone is making it so big of a deal about bullet construction and which one would work over the other one. Which caliber is better than the other or which rifle heavy vs. light is better. Man there have been a lot of campfire talks about this. If you have a 270 Win. or 30-06 or 7mm Mag. use it IF your accurate with it. Any bullet from the Remington core-lock to the Nosler Partition will work if you do your job. Remember your going on a hunt not a sniper mission. Antelope are not hard to stalk if you mind the wind and use the terrain. Get within a reasonable range that fits into your ability. Also mind the wind it will fool you more than you think with bullet drift. All bullets react to the wind, just some more than others. Learn your rifle and shoot it as much as you can once you find an accurate load. AND ENJOY THE HUNT!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back