Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

replacement stock and rifle weight

bucky1

Hey everyone, in the process of replacing rifle stock on a post 64 winchest model 70 that is the 2 piece floorplate. I have put on a hogue overmolded but have come away thinking that it is a bit heavy...... rifle weight right now with scope is 9.2 pounds. just curious what other options some here would suggest. So far in my search it appears Bell and Carlson medalists are out of the running due to the 2 piece floorplate... leaving me with just the carbelite for that brand. HS precision i'm told is another option, but not sure i will be getting much gain in weight reduction attempts. the hogue is listed on its specs at 2.75lbs. I just chatted wtih Mcmillan rep and he mentioned 2 options with them.... the EDGE tech (1.5 lbs) and their sporter fill that is 2lbs. anyone here have any reviews for these two Mcmillan options? any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Bucky,

You won't get a real light-weight rifle out of a CRF model 70 action.

You can shave some weight and get a much more rigid and better quality stock by going McMillan or HS Prescision.

Will it make the rifle shoot better than the sticky rubber Hogue? Maybe, maybe not.

Whatever stock you choose, be sure to bed it.

Take a look at www.stockysstocks.com They have Manners brand stocks as well.

Last edited:
NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back