Replacement rifle stocks for women?

VAspeedgoat

So I have been looking at the weather Camilla and like the stock design. I personally feel it would fit my wife well. She tends to hold a rifle high on her shoulder to get it to line up with her eye. I would just trade her gun off and get the Camilla but she's grown attached to it. I've looked online and haven't found anything. I've contacted Boyd's to see if they can make one but not sure if they will. Have any of you guys found anyone that does something like this? Thanks

The "female" stocks are a variation of the Monte Carlo stock design that was famous back in the day and still used on Weatherby's. Depending on the rifle action you're interested in, you might was to see if there's an aftermarket stock that mimics this to get you close. Savage makes a Lady Hunter as well that is similar to the Camilla.

Another option would be do add an adjustable cheek piece on the rifle to simulate the head positioning. I realize this wouldn't create an exact replica, but it would allow for a good cheek weld that is higher. Depending on the concern of weight, the Boyds AT-One stock seems highly adjustable.

Boyds has two stocks that are monte carlo style. One is the prairie hunter and I can't remember the name of the other one. They also have their at-one stock that is adjustable.

So I have been looking at the weather Camilla and like the stock design. I personally feel it would fit my wife well. She tends to hold a rifle high on her shoulder to get it to line up with her eye. I would just trade her gun off and get the Camilla but she's grown attached to it. I've looked online and haven't found anything. I've contacted Boyd's to see if they can make one but not sure if they will. Have any of you guys found anyone that does something like this? Thanks

I am not one of the guys lol, but might I suggest the following.

You can buy the Camilla stock directly from Weatherby--just the stock. They will need to know if it is a long or short action rifle your going to use the stock on, as well as whether you want the Mark V or Vanguard and the serial number-"if" it is a Weatherby rifle your putting the Camailla stock on If it is not a Weatherby rifle, the first two ( still are needed--long or short and V or Vanguard )---and of course it is possible it wont be a good fit even if it is taken to a gunsmith you trust with the hope that it will work on the rifle your trying to put it on.

I would have one made to fit her and several companies back east can do so ( I see your in Va ) . I fellow in Pa, I think his company name is Marten, does great work, but he specializes in Flintlocks.

Getting something that "is better" but still does not "fit" her does not always help with recoil, cheek weld, length of pull, and other sensitive anatomy areas that can create a painful experience and makes one not want to hunt or shoot, depending on her build.

Respectfully submitted sir, as I am sure there are many here with better info than I, but thought I would share with you the aforementioned

What brand of rifle is it you currently own? Are you after a wood stock or fiberglass?

Buy her a Camilla and she can have two rifles. It is always good to have a spare.

It's a Remington model 7 in .243. I have considered mounting a rubber cheek pad on the stock and using a taller scope rings. I'd rather not do that though.

I didn't see the Lady Hunter on the current listing for Savage.
Has been replaced with the accu fit stocks.

So Weatherrby Lady Camilla.
Boyds ATOne, with the optional palm grip, and adjustable buttstock. (castoff and height, not just LOP)
Or have one special made for her.

McMillan hunter in edge fill might be another option worth considering if you wanted to go fiberglass. You could also Joel Russo and have him make you a custom wood or laminate if you want to go that option.

Vaspeedgoat. As I am sure you are aware there are several Weatherby Camiilas in the 243 caliber for sale for approx 600 dollars. I am not sure what it would cost to get a stock like the Camilla made for her in your area. You said in your first post that you would just buy the Camilla but she likes the rifle she has. I would be tempted to buy a used one, let her try it and if she likes it, sell the Remington, if she dont put the Weatherby back up for sale--or--if you think she might want "more gun" in the future buy the Camilla in the 6.5 Creedmore or 7mm-08 . If the rifle "fits" her, it may become her new favorite, or she may have two favorites. Or keep it for any future female shooters that are now or will be in your family

jryoung -- We have a friend that did exactly the same thing and she loves it.

std7mag---the Savage Lady Hunter is still made but no longer in the 243. but if that caliber is preferred there are a lot of used ones on the market

vaspeedgoat. There are a lot of nice used ones on the market, but from my research and handling of the rifles, in real time, I feel the Savage, Weatherby, and Blaser rifles which are made specifically for women are all good choices and Weatherby and Blaser still make the 243 is you are thinking maybe a new one. IMHO, these rifles offer more overall fit for a female than the add on cheek pads, etc.

I hope and pray this post is taken in the manner it is intended., I am not in any way shape or form putting down any other ideas, just sharing my experiences with having handled the aforementioned rifles and many, many, "add ons" to rifles throughout the years. In later years my husband was kind enough to have stocks made to fit me and it was appreciated. Just sharing, nothing more gentlemen

I would take her to try a camilla first. My wife tried them and didn't like the fit.

As long as you don't get out the tool box BBQ...

Been ages since i saw that show!

And thanks all, i must have missed the Lady Hunter on Savage's website somehow.

Is it still on, dang I liked that.

I think we're gonna try the Camilla buy likely will try some after market cheek pieces too. The worst thing to come is my daughter is a lefty on top of it all. So it may be the red green answer in the end.

I know it's been said more than a few times but I would just break down and get a Camilla. We tried the youth gun thing and then adjusting stocks, etc. for my wife and none ever fit her well or kicked her so bad she didn't enjoy it. She got a Camilla and she LOVES it. It fits her perfect and aligns her up with the scope much easier, not to mention it has a very slender grip so she can actually hold onto the gun much better. No longer are we playing the lining up game when trying to shoot. Hers is in a 6.5 creed and its a shooter. We're getting 1/2' groups out of the gun at 100 yards with factory hornady 143 ELDx ammo. We then stuck a vx3i with the CDS system on it and shes deadly with that thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back