Remington custom shop barreled actions. $400

No worries. I would not have been in any hurry if I were in your shoes.

It definitely looks like a factory Remington. It would really odd for PT&G to spend the time jeweling a bolt when they were in such a hurry to build bolts, so that almost certainly makes it a Remington.

For trigger pins? If you want to make your own just order some .125 drill rod.
If you want to buy some these are great.
Thanks I haven’t been able to find these.

Barreled action : $400.
Firing pin $50.75
Ejector kits. $16.50 each $33
Side bolt release $27.75
M16 extractor kit $40
Reamer rental $39
Trigger Tech Primary $149
Trigger pin set $8
Stock and bottom metal $410 (Bell and Carlson)
Stock and bottom metal ( Boyd’s and Pmag) $355
$1157.50, I’m happy with that.

Got my tracking number for the replacement bolt this morning. If it works, I will have finally received everything that PT&G promised at the price they promised it.

Finally got my last two barreled actions after 10 months. They turned up with bare 1-piece PTG bolts so I'm pretty happy about that. Guess I won't have to report the May 2021 transaction as fraud to my credit card company after all!

Got my reamers in today. Took way more than 2 or 3 turns to finish
them. I did 2-257 Weatherby lost count of how many turns, but I probably had to go close to a 1/4 “ before a round would chamber. I did rechamber a 7mm Rem mag to a 28 nosler, ran a rough reamer in the lathe and then a finish reamer by hand for about 20 turns with a lot of push pressure on the reamer. Chambers look good, no noticeable imperfections, brass came out clean with no scratches, so I’m hopeful. Amazingly enough, PTG shipped my extractors and bolt stops, arrived today. Still waiting on firing pins and ejectors. As soon as they come in I will give a range report.

FYI ParkWest Arms in Sturgis, South Dakota will finish chamber/headspace these barreled actions for $125 if anyone is having trouble finding a gunsmith that isn't "too busy" or "not interested" to do the work [as all the ones in Denver seem to be]. Sending 4 their way this week.

IMG_20220510_155819159.jpg

Just waiting on the firing pin. Pretty happy how this .25-06 mountain turned out. 5lb 10oz naked. All in it at about $1100, and shaved a pound off the factory Remington.

Should have it ready just in time for Father's Day to give to my old man. Left the doggy red on just for @brockel (I have a raw aluminum shroud and knob to replace them).

IMG_20220510_151226555.jpg

Got my reamers in today. Took way more than 2 or 3 turns to finish
them. I did 2-257 Weatherby lost count of how many turns, but I probably had to go close to a 1/4 “ before a round would chamber. I did rechamber a 7mm Rem mag to a 28 nosler, ran a rough reamer in the lathe and then a finish reamer by hand for about 20 turns with a lot of push pressure on the reamer. Chambers look good, no noticeable imperfections, brass came out clean with no scratches, so I’m hopeful. Amazingly enough, PTG shipped my extractors and bolt stops, arrived today. Still waiting on firing pins and ejectors. As soon as they come in I will give a range report.
Why didn't you finish the chamber in the lathe if it was already chucked up after roughing?
Are you using headspace gauges or just loaded cartridges?

Anymore updates on what y'all have done with your ordered actions?
I just picked up my last one from gunsmith yesterday. They all turned out really good after a lot of headaches. I don’t know if I would ever do it again.

One ended up having to have the barrel replaced as the factory chamber was not able to be cleaned up with a finish reamer.

The 280 I sold PTG sent a magnum bolt with. That guy wasn’t happy, neither of us caught it. The gunsmith pointed it out and now he is fighting with PTG.

The 223 I had to send back came back as a magnum too. All in all that bolt got sent back 3 times to PTG to get it right.

The 7-08 has to have Leupold adjustable bases. The holes are off just enough that I almost ran out of adjustment with my scope.

Last edited:
I just picked up my last one from gunsmith yesterday. They all turned out really good after a lot of headaches. I don’t know if I would ever do it again.

One ended up having to have the barrel replaced as the factory chamber was not able to be cleaned up with a finish reamer.

The 280 I sold I found out PTG sent a magnum bolt with. That guy wasn’t happy but I not he caught it. The gunsmith pointed it out and now he is fighting with PTG.

The 223 I had to send back came back as a magnum too. All in all that bolt got sent back 3 times to PTG to get it right.

The 7-08 has to have Leupold adjustable bases. The holes are off just enough that I almost ran out of adjustment with my scope.

Dang, that sounds awful. I hope Remarms starts making the Model Seven again, but it didn’t sound too positive from my communications with them. 😩

The 280 I sold I found out PTG sent a magnum bolt with. That guy wasn’t happy but I not he caught it. The gunsmith pointed it out and now he is fighting with PTG.

Good grief those guys have fallen apart.

Good grief those guys have fallen apart.
I think there was a expectation that these were better than what they were because of the custom shop name. From PTG to the end user every one found out that these were likely seconds that needed additional work. That’s why they were sent to the custom shop as the gunsmith could correct faults with blue printing and/or new barrels. Which is ultimately what I had to do with all 3 I kept.

At the I ended up with nice rifles. That is solely due to the gunsmith doing the final work. Pierce engineering does top notch work, they saved the day on these actions for me.

I think there was a expectation that these were better than what they were because of the custom shop name. From PTG to the end user every one found out that these were likely seconds that needed additional work.
"Custom Shop" sounds a whole lot better than "blemished", "factory rejects", or "refurbished".

It was a fun thread to follow. Glad some of you were able to make these things work

I finally got my last parts in last week, just in time for harvest to start! As time allows I will start up on mine again. Priority is my 13 yo’s 258 Bob AI in a model 7 in time for deer season. It will be his first rifle as all he’s used are hand me downs.

Back