Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Reluctant participant in archery season....

SFC B

As many of you may know, given the fickle nature of the Indiana gun season dates, this year I was faced with the choice of engaging in the mystical art of the arrow or only hunting 3 days. I tried shooting a bow at work a few times and found that due to some of the injuries to my right arm I just couldn't execute shooting a vertical bow in a way I thought would be in any way ethical. So, I was lucky enough that Redman let me borrow Casey's Centerpoint amped 425. Here are a couple of take aways for me. First, a crossbow is fairly heavy and more cumbersome to carry and move around with in the woods. Second, it is more familiar to me and in a short time I was confident that I could make an ethical shot within reasonable distances (+-40 yds for me). Third, I would not use a crossbow in the West unless I was on a known tank or wallow somewhere. Finally, I will make this a part of my hunting thought process for scheduling in the future as it IS more time in the woods. In addition, I will add that the Schwacker expandables that Redman has on those bolts were devastating on the BB I hit.....literally destroyed the heart. I know all of the hate for crossbows but is a good thing for me.

Attachments

• 20231116_174018 (1).jpg
    20231116_174018 (1).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231116_174654.jpg
    20231116_174654.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231116_182917.jpg
    20231116_182917.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
As many of you may know, given the fickle nature of the Indiana gun season dates, this year I was faced with the choice of engaging in the mystical art of the arrow or only hunting 3 days. I tried shooting a bow at work a few times and found that due to some of the injuries to my right arm I just couldn't execute shooting a vertical bow in a way I thought would be in any way ethical. So, I was lucky enough that Redman let me borrow Casey's Centerpoint amped 425. Here are a couple of take aways for me. First, a crossbow is fairly heavy and more cumbersome to carry and move around with in the woods. Second, it is more familiar to me and in a short time I was confident that I could make an ethical shot within reasonable distances (+-40 yds for me). Third, I would not use a crossbow in the West unless I was on a known tank or wallow somewhere. Finally, I will make this a part of my hunting thought process for scheduling in the future as it IS more time in the woods. In addition, I will add that the Schwacker expandables that Redman has on those bolts were devastating on the BB I hit.....literally destroyed the heart. I know all of the hate for crossbows but is a good thing for me.
Same here. Too many injuries over my career. I don’t have the range of motion to shoot a bow. The crossbow is the tool that allows me to hunt during the archery seasons. I agree, it is heavy and cumbersome. I’ll not shoot at a deer over 40 yards.

If I had taken my crossbow turkey hunting instead of my compound bow, I would have filled that tag already.

Congratulations! Glad you were able to connect with her! Ive found bow hunting aint like riflw hunting, just because you have deer close to you does not guarantee your getting one.

I use schwackers too. I try to tell everyone I can about them. They are crazy effective and fly great

I too live in a state where I can hunt like 3 months if I use a bow and gun, but only 2 weeks with a rifle only.

I get alotta folks hate on crossbows but to me you tried a regular bow and had physical issues. No shame in that at all, i would make the same move if i had injuries. What I don't like is lazy able bodied folks who just don't want to practice with a bow just going and buying a crossbow.

I get alotta folks hate on crossbows but to me you tried a regular bow and had physical issues. No shame in that at all, i would make the same move if i had injuries. What I don't like is lazy able bodied folks who just don't want to practice with a bow just going and buying a crossbow.
As a proud hater of crossbows I give no hate to someone who has injuries keeping them from using bow.

I'm anti-xbows for all in archery season regulations as well but have no issue with exceptions for folks with physical limitations. Further, i don't have any personal issue with able bodied people choosing to use crossbows where it is allowed. Most of us already buy things we think will make us more effective hunters and I see no different with xbows where legal. Where i have issue is pushing for crossbow legalization for all during archery season where it has never been legal and where doing so will decrease the quality of existing archery and firearm seasons.

Last edited:
I'm anti-xbows in archery season as well but have no issue with exceptions for folks with physical limitations. Further, i don't have any issue with able bodied people choosing to use crossbows where it is allowed. Most of us already buy things we think will make us more effective hunters and I see no different with xbows where legal. Where i have issue is pushing for crossbow legalization for all during archery season where it has never been legal and where doing so will decrease the quality of existing archery and firearm seasons.
The issue with folks with no injuries whatsoever or other physical reason to not shoot a regular bow just going and getting crossbows, is your defeating one of the whole points of archery season. It's supposed to be a season for dedicated folks that are willing to put in the time and effort to practice to have more opportunities to hunt. Granted much more difficult hunts. Not to be a bonus season for the guy who buys his tag at Walmart the night before rifle season, who wants to do the same, pick it up, no practice and just go hunting.

Kind of the same concept with CB radio and HAM radio. If all of a sudden the license requirements for HAM were removed and the CBers got on there, it'd be the same poop show CB radio is.

Again, I fully support anyone that has physical issues with regular bows using a crossbow. But I do not support open archery season where anyone can freely use a crossbow. It clogs the woods up with hunters that haven't put in the actual effort to be there and takes away from opportunities for the folks who actually do put in the effort.

The issue with folks with no injuries whatsoever or other physical reason to not shoot a regular bow just going and getting crossbows, is your defeating one of the whole points of archery season. It's supposed to be a season for dedicated folks that are willing to put in the time and effort to practice to have more opportunities to hunt. Granted much more difficult hunts. Not to be a bonus season for the guy who buys his tag at Walmart the night before rifle season, who wants to do the same, pick it up, no practice and just go hunting.

Kind of the same concept with CB radio and HAM radio. If all of a sudden the license requirements for HAM were removed and the CBers got on there, it'd be the same poop show CB radio is.

Again, I fully support anyone that has physical issues with regular bows using a crossbow. But I do not support open archery season where anyone can freely use a crossbow. It clogs the woods up with hunters that haven't put in the actual effort to be there and takes away from opportunities for the folks who actually do put in the effort.

Yes, defeating the original point of archery season. From the days when whitetail deer populations were actually scarce and they wanted to give folks with limited efficacy tools like a bow another opportunity at the limited resource without causing considerable impact on said resource. Nobody gives crap about that now if there's $ to be made by politicians from xbow lobbies and game agencies from license sales.

Now days many eastern state game agencies look at whitetails like a varmint that they must kill off or "control" rather than something they must protect.

Some of these anti-crossbow arguments aren't even worth the time to respond.

Who's more disabled? Who's more dedicated? Who's more deserving? Who's used their time wisely enough to practice?

Love it all.

Back