Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Redneck shootin range

Thanks for cleaning up after other shooters!

I clean up a gravel pit about 10 minutes from my house taking a pickup bed to the dump every Monday.
I've hauled TVs, washers/dryers, propane tanks, 5 oil drums, lots of plywood and paper targets.

The good news is now that the area is relatively litter-free I've noticed that weekend shooters have been
more respectful and there is much less litter left behind.

They use to shoot the heck out of the campsite there on the Skalkaho-Rye road. FS shut it down a few years ago, haven't been by since.

What did you use on it? I just took the kids for a hike today and saw some, was wondering if the Forest Service ever removes it. They probably have to do a cultural inventory first, but I bet I could make it disappear pretty quick.
Used a cordless grinder and a wire wheel. Worked slick. mtmuley

The slob factor at our membership range is in heavy disproportion to the posters displayed and sign up video instructing protocol....and common sense.

Last edited:
It's interesting. Bunch of .25-06 and .308 Winchester today. Even some Grendel brass. Some .30-30 last weekend. Some .357 and .38 special. And always a ton of .223, .40 Smith, .45 ACP and 9mm. I even have a bunch of 10mm. Last year found a bunch of 7mm RM. One day a good amount of .243 Lapua. Treasure hunt almost. Except for the diapers. Took some graffiti of a rock cliff too. mtmuley

Looks like a couple of the .308 cases were fired in an H&K. Take my word for it and flatten them with a hammer, then throw them in the trash. Don't even try to resize them, or you will be buying a new die. They will seize for sure, if you can even get them into the die. Don't ask me how I know.

Looks like a couple of the .308 cases were fired in an H&K. Take my word for it and flatten them with a hammer, then throw them in the trash. Don't even try to resize them, or you will be buying a new die. They will seize for sure, if you can even get them into the die. Don't ask me how I know.
Must be what the scratches are. I was wondering about that. mtmuley

I do it quite a bit. I've hauled off bags and bags of shotgun shell hulls. Kind of a shame people trash the mountains like they do. mtmuley
Thank-you for the time, effort, and care for the outdoors you demonstrate. 'Speaks highly of your character.

One aspect of the "redneck shootin range" poor citizenship dynamic is that there is a huge portion of the populace that is "on the fence" with respect to firearms, gun ownership, potential gun laws and such, but when they view this kind of mess then they come off the fence on the side adverse to firearms rights and privileges. If they encounter the red neck shooters blowing away trees and have to listen to the disturbance in the otherwise quiet forest, desert, or grasslands they are trying to enjoy ... then they jump off the fence!

Must be what the scratches are. I was wondering about that. mtmuley

The longitudinal striations are to assist in extraction, and the ejector puts a kink in the side of the case. The face of the bolt has a raised surface that essentially crimps the primer in place. None of those make it an easy task to resize the brass. Don't even try.

The longitudinal striations are to assist in extraction, and the ejector puts a kink in the side of the case. The face of the bolt has a raised surface that essentially crimps the primer in place. None of those make it an easy task to resize the brass. Don't even try.
Are these mechanical idiosyncrasies engineered to defeat jams & misfires?

One spring back when I was working for the Forest Service we had to remove two concrete outhouses from trailheads near Bozeman because over the winter the public had used them for shooting targets. They both looked like they had been in the center of a war zone. One of the metal doors was shot so bad that it wouldn't close. I picked up a pile of brass from the parking lot that had everything from .22 rim fire to 12 ga shotgun hulls to .300 Win mag. A few fools ruin it for everyone.

Supposed to help with extraction and cut down on breaking extractors. H&K has a pretty good writeup on their reasoning. I think POF and maybe a couple others have done something similar.

Thank-you for the time, effort, and care for the outdoors you demonstrate. 'Speaks highly of your character.

One aspect of the "redneck shootin range" poor citizenship dynamic is that there is a huge portion of the populace that is "on the fence" with respect to firearms, gun ownership, potential gun laws and such, but when they view this kind of mess then they come off the fence on the side adverse to firearms rights and privileges. If they encounter the red neck shooters blowing away trees and have to listen to the disturbance in the otherwise quiet forest, desert, or grasslands they are trying to enjoy ... then they jump off the fence!
I've replace signs that were torn down, cleaned up brush on the road from firewood cutters and of course the garbage. The graffiti was a new one, and yeah, the artist might need a doctor's visit for an anal paint can extraction if I caught them in the act. All that crap gets really old. I've also turned in illegal off readers an people on vehicles behind closed gates. My patience is gone. mtmuley

We have a spot that gets shot up pretty bad. I pick up as much as I can and it'll last awhile but then I'll not make it for a few months and there will be a burned up TV and broken bottles.

A surprisingly high amount of 10mm brass out there.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back