MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Recommendations

Kalihunt

Looking to do a muley hunt here in Ca. I am outfitting myself and need a recommendation for a Eberlestock pack. I have a great discount with them. I want to use the Kifaru gun bearer system so the J series scabbard pack seems to be redundant. I am kind of a minimalist so don't want be too small on my pack sizing. Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated.

Mahalo

If I'm going on a mountain bike ride and I need a mountain bike it doesn't matter what kind of road bike I can get a deal on. The bitter taste of poor quality lingers on long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

I can get a heckuva discount on them too, but I bought a Mystery Ranch instead.

I'd look at the J34 Just One pack. You can leave the barrel end of the scabbard tucked into the bottom of pack and use the scabbard for your spotting scope or hiking poles. I have a older Kifaru Longhunter standard pack but, I like the layout of the J34 better. I will say that you can carry a heavier load more comfortably with the Kifaru but the J34 has worked well for me up to about 60 lbs or a bit more. I used it 3 years ago on a backpacking elk hunt in CO and it performed well.

I enjoy the scabbard in my pack for hands free hiking. I've got a couple different packs for day hunts that work well for me. It's really convenient to have the rifle or a tripod secured inside the scabbard so you can do whatever with your hands and arms.

If I'm going on a mountain bike ride and I need a mountain bike it doesn't matter what kind of road bike I can get a deal on. The bitter taste of poor quality lingers on long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Poor quality?? Guessing you have never used Eblerstock. Heavy maybe but poor quality there are not.

I've used the original Just one since they came out and the quality is exceptional. Gotta be close to ten years worth of packing. I've used packs that are lighter and packs that handle heavy loads better, but for a do it all pack it is flat awesome.

I just strapped my bow to it last night and got it loaded. Spotting scopes, tripods, trekking poles, it handles it all. One of the most reliable, versital packs out there for hunting. If you are looking at only carrying heavy loads there are better packs but for a year round hunter they cover every and any scenerio. Outstanding HUNTING pack!!
image.jpg
You crazy :)

Last edited:
My j104 is at least 15 yrs old and I still like it.Love the scabbard and how it rides on my long torso.
Mice have eaten at the zipper covers & pull cords,but only damage.
I do have a MR crewcab I got last year and it is great scouting/hunting.But gave me a sore back packing out a buck even with the loadlifters. And no scabbard.

My j104 is at least 15 yrs old and I still like it.Love the scabbard and how it rides on my long torso.

How time flys Hank - have they been out 15 years?. I believe mine is the J104 also - what ever the first model was. Been so long I can't remember what year I ordered it. Was before they were available in stores. Picture above is my partners newer model.

15 years abusing a pack and it is still my goto pack on the serious trips.
Designed by a hunter for hunters. Unless I'm packing meat You can keep your hiker backpacks imo.

I would venture to say these poor quality Eblerstocks have packed out more elk in Idaho and Montana then any other.

Mahalo - like shootsmanybullets said, the scabbard can hold so many things other then a rifle. You just might prefer that over the gun bearer system. I know I do at least. When archery hunting my scope stays on the tripod and slides into the scabboard perfectly along side trekking poles.

Curious why you would want to use the gun bearer system? It is very fast and easy to get your rifle out of the Eblerstock with the pack on.

Last edited:
That's the closest I could come to how long.Last packhunt with the stepson.Then again the last 6 have seemed like a lifetime.
Got mine when they went with J-107 model and mine was around $100 new. Got a deal on Kenetrek Grizzly pacboots & the pack from Kenetrek. I have carried fishing poles,survey tripods,tripod/spotters,& rifles in mine.

Last edited:
Back