Recommend me a fly reel

The old man that got me into fly fishing and taught me the ropes told me not to blow the bank on a reel because 90% of the time it's only holding line. From what I have found, most of my fish fighting is done not on the reel and drag, but with the backbone of the rod and holding the line with my fingers and controlling the reel with the palm of my hand. One my 6 wt rod I have a lower end Okuma that I got for about $75. My 4 wt has a lower end Orvis. My 3 wt has a reel from Bass Pro Shop from their White River Lodge line. All of the reels are within your price range and have good drag systems. Spend your money on good line and leader.

Last edited:
"Spend your money on good line and leader."

This leads to fishing stories, which I've all but sworn off...

Years ago, though, Greenhorn and I were up at... Well, that actually is Amnesia Lake!!
This was summertime, and it wasn't exactly a fishing trip, more scouting, but...
So he had a spinning outfit, and I had my fly rod, the pack version, except too light of tippet!
So we were both catching fish with every cast, except mine were breaking off every time! As I recall, his were released, but when he yelled over the lake "how's it going?!", I replied "this isn't fishing, it's knot tying!!!".
So have a variety of leaders...

"Spend your money on good line and leader."

This leads to fishing stories, which I've all but sworn off...

Years ago, though, Greenhorn and I were up at... Well, that actually is Amnesia Lake!!
This was summertime, and it wasn't exactly a fishing trip, more scouting, but...
So he had a spinning outfit, and I had my fly rod, the pack version, except too light of tippet!
So we were both catching fish with every cast, except mine were breaking off every time! As I recall, his were released, but when he yelled over the lake "how's it going?!", I replied "this isn't fishing, it's knot tying!!!".
So have a variety of leaders...

I tie my own leader and tippet for the situation because of that...lol

I would get one of these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/la...terString=fishing-reels~d~188/&colorFamily=31

Its a few $$ more than the Sage reels on Sierra but its worth it. I've been through a lot of fly fishing gear over the years. I was a guide for 6 years. I've owned Sage reels (and still own a few) but they don't hold up in the long run. I still have a couple because they are LIGHT but they sacrifice some durability. My Galvans and Lamsons are still working just as good as they day I bought them though.

Just my $0.02

And Ross is another good brand too if you find one you like.

I'll add that as far as Ross goes, I'd stay away from their stuff made over seas.

Have only owned one fly reel my entire life - Pfleuger Medalist. Think I paid $12 for mine. My son needed a quality fly reel a few years back and I was able to pick up a new Medalist for $28 from Cabela's, but it's not listed in their catalog. At one point many years ago I saw them new for $35. If you could find one at a garage sale you'd pay top price, but you'd have to look really hard and be really lucky. My son found some recently at some outdoor store that were included as part of some cheap fly combo for $49. Considering the cost of other reels this would be a good deal for the reel alone. This is the only quality fly reel I know of that is not over-priced - you get a lot more than you pay for with this one. The only fly reel I'll ever own. Brookies to steelhead on one reel.

I have/had a couple of name brand reels like Orvis, Lamson, and Galvan and have been very happy all of them. The only one I can say I didn't like was the G-Loomis Venture, it seemed the closed back design was a good trap for sand and gravel and was a pain in the butt as you had to pop the spool off and rinse it out ever time you put the reel on the ground.

As others have stated invest in a good line, I have RIO on all mine, and take care of it per the instructions.

If you are thinking of fishing waters that hold some good sized fish (20"+) it might be a good idea to get a decent drag system, as most name brand middle of the road reels have it. if you will be fishing creeks and small streams you can get away with less for a reel.

I have a Lamson on both my 4 and 5 weight rods and like them both. Never had a problem with either one. I also have an Okuma SLV that was under $75 new and its on my 6wt junker but aside from a few scratches its great for what its been through. Unless you are fishing a lot I would definately save on the reel, get an extra spool and load them with good floating and sinking line respectively.

I got my first lamson because it was a clearance special. Have since added another and love them both. They share time on a sage slt and feel nice on the rod. I just saw the velocity on sale online. I'll try to see if I can't figure out where that was.

Last edited:
All the Texans I see flailing away on the Bozeman area waters use Hatch reels.That is only two pumps and a squirt out of one of your oil wells.:D

I just received a new Lamson Velocity 3 from Sierra. I think they've lightened them up a bit from the models a few years ago. Very good deal on that model right now.

Back