Reading a topo map

Muskeez

Total Newbie from the midwest here... so some of my questions over the next few months may seem totally stupid to some of you, but here goes:

Going on my first ever Western big game hunt this fall. 0 points in any states. 45 years old and finally decided I HAVE to do this! Trying to pick an OTC unit to archery hunt elk in CO, unless something else totally falls in my lap in the next couple months. For now, choosing a unit or 2 to hunt is incredibly overwhelming. (i know Cush, there's no elk in CO :rolleyes: )

So, anyway, when I look at the topo maps, what should I be looking for? What type of areas hold elk in September? What do the best drainages look like? What does a "bench" look like on a topo map? After many years of experience, I can read a lake map and find some of the best fish holding structure in a lake. Can you do something similar with a topo map for elk? There has to be certain areas that you experienced elk hunters see on a map and say to yourself "I'd bet $100 there's an elk right there!"

Maybe I'm totally nuts, but there has to be more to it than simply striking out, a long ways from the roads, and walking every drainage, meadow, bench and treeline until you happen to find some elk??

Thanks for any advise for the greenhorn!
-Clayton

Last edited:
Muskeez, hope your hunt comes together for you. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Despite what Cush says there are still a couple elk roaming around in CO.

Since an early bow hunt is what you mentioned, locate water. lts not just everywhere in the mountains.

In the early seasons I seem to find more elk on north facing slopes,They tend to be cooler,the forage is usually better,still gotta have cover,water,Ect.(just a suggestion not an absolute)

A bench is nothing more than a ''Flatish'' piece of ground.Look for your Topo lines to spread apart then come back together.The easiest way to learn the basics of how to read a topo is to have one in your hand for the piece of ground that your on.Climb to a vantage point,get your bearings and start looking around.Compare the Topo to the actual lay of the terrain,they start making sense real quick.

As to your question about finding ''Elky'' spots on a map I think you can.I think I've gotten better at it over the years,but i am sure that i will never be as good at it as the guys that live with elk.
A comparison that i tell people is after 35 years of chasing them i just KNOW when I'm standing on good whitetail ground, sorta like you ''reading''a lake.So yes you can tell if elk should be at a specific spot on a map and every now and then they actually are.

I'm curious to hear what others have to offer.This should be a good thread.

Here's what a bench looks like:
topo7.jpg

Short and basic article one how to ID certain features on a topo map.
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/topos/

If are having trouble "visuallizing" the topography on the topo map then load Google Earth on your PC and navigate to the same spot your topo map shows. You can zoom in/out so is similar scale as the topo. Now, turn on the Earth feature that allows you to have shadows roll over the Earth. As you go from sunrise to sunset the shadows will reveal low spots and high points to compare to the topo. That helped me dial in some areas to hunt in a unit I had never visited in person yet.

Good luck.

The best areas are the ones that are different. In my area we have a lack of good feed so that's what we look for (grass). In areas with tons of feed look for good cover for bedding (heavy timber). In dry areas look for water. Not every such spot will hold elk, but find what's limiting and you've found a potentially good spot. IMO - during the rut the elk are looking for security. Secluded basins with food/water/timber.

Some great advise guys! thank you for helping me try to understand just a portion of the big picture. Keep the thoughts coming, I'm like a sponge just waiting to learn more every day. Exciting stuff!

Cush must be gone on vacation? I don't even know him but I get a kick out of his sarcasm and humor, so I thought I'd get a jab in. :)

I'm no expert but we've had the best luck in steep north facing thick timber with a little water. If you look at an area and say to yourself "sh!t, that's friggin steep" or "i don't know if i really want to go into that nasty hole" there's a good chance you have elk nearby.

I'm no expert but we've had the best luck in steep north facing thick timber with a little water. If you look at an area and say to yourself "sh!t, that's friggin steep" or "i don't know if i really want to go into that nasty hole" there's a good chance you have elk nearby.

That advice is money in the bank::D

http://soleadventure.com/

Pretty easy straight forward map help on this blog. Good luck with your adventure, I know it looks daunting. While I lived in Iowa I thought a western elk hunt was as impossible as a mission to Pluto, but now I know it shouldn't be so intimidating. Do your homework and you'll be just fine.

Last edited:
I agree with some of these previous posts a lot, to add to their's I like to look on topo map and forest service road map to find areas far away from close and easy access. You hafta be willing to go places other people arent willing to go!

If it's of any assistance, I think I still have a book on how to read topo maps when it pertains to hunting. Helps ID certain land arrangements that game would likely use. It's more for whitetail, but I am sure in more mountainy (is that a word?) areas, similar logic may apply. If interested I'd be glad to dig it out and mail it to anyone interested. I think the book is called mapping trophy bucks - good read with good stories too....

Cush must be gone on vacation? I don't even know him but I get a kick out of his sarcasm and humor, so I thought I'd get a jab in. :)
dont let him fool ya...he is originally from NY...thats where the sarcasm comes from...The book is Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon and it gives you a good basic understanding of topo maps and what you are looking at.....:cool:

Last edited:
If it's of any assistance, I think I still have a book on how to read topo maps when it pertains to hunting. Helps ID certain land arrangements that game would likely use. It's more for whitetail, but I am sure in more mountainy (is that a word?) areas, similar logic may apply. If interested I'd be glad to dig it out and mail it to anyone interested. I think the book is called mapping trophy bucks - good read with good stories too....
Its a really good book by the way.....:cool:

http://soleadventure.com/

Pretty easy straight forward map help on this blog. Good luck with your adventure, I know it looks daunting. While I lived in Iowa I thought a western elk hunt was as impossible as a mission to Pluto, but now I know it shouldn't be so intimidating. Do your homework and you'll be just fine.

Thanks, Cabin.

Yes, I just posted an article on reading and interpreting topographic maps. Hopefully it will help!

http://soleadventure.com/2013/02/how-to-read-and-interpret-topographic-maps/

Back