Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rattlesnakes

NV_ARCH3R

Just read a thread where someone mentioned running across a rattlesnake. How does everyone feel about em? Myself I figure they do a lot more good than harm, and have more right to be out in the sticks than I do.. Even kinda like messin with em once in awhile. I usually just let them be. The only one I killed in the past several years I ate. really not bad.

Rattlers out in the sticks get a pass from me only if
1) they're WAY off the trail
2) I'm not making a roundtrip through that area
3) my dog isn't with me
4) they're not up in my kitchen when I encounter them

otherwise, they catch a load of shot or a rock to their spade-shaped head. I haven't eaten one in a long time, but I might bring the next one home for dinner.

Snakes in general get a pass from me... As long as they are not in my house, on my lawn, or bothering the Dogs.

IMO for a snake: "Bothering the Dog" is a capital offense, no matter the snake, no matter the place.

As long as I am not out brid hunting with the dog, or they aren't near camp, they get a pass. This fall during archery season in WY, one was curled up about 10 yds from our tents, he had to go.

Rattlers out in the sticks get a pass from me only if
1) they're WAY off the trail
2) I'm not making a roundtrip through that area
3) my dog isn't with me
4) they're not up in my kitchen when I encounter them

otherwise, they catch a load of shot or a rock to their spade-shaped head. I haven't eaten one in a long time, but I might bring the next one home for dinner.
\

Agreed.

Since I hunt with hounds and in the thick swamps and bottoms, I kill 'em when they are encountered. Rattlesnakes aren't as common around here (they don't like water) as copperheads and cotton mouths, which are absolutely killed when spotted. Occasionally I'll run into a timber rattler in and around the planted pines and my yard, so those definitely get killed. The eating part is just a rare treat.

Do any of you carry any kits with you? Or wear snake gaiters??? There are a lot of them in the places I hunt and I have done some research online as far as what to do if bitten but there isn't a whole lot out there....I do a lot of solo hunting in desolate places so it's always been in the back of my mind I guess...

Rattlesnakes aren't as common around here (they don't like water) as copperheads and cotton mouths, which are absolutely killed when spotted.
These are the only snakes I truely fear! Sneaky Mean SOBs! My buddy got bit on the a$$ by one of these while we were wading through a geogia swamp in the middle of the night. I was only 15 feet away, and we never found the snake, but they had to bring in a helicopter to get him out. Still freaks me out.

I'd say I let them go but too much rock-n-roll and shooting w/o ear protection in my youth left me unable to hear all but the huge ones so I just don't notice them. They and the poison ivy do keep the newbies out of my favorite stretch of wilderness river so I admit liking them.

I'd say I let them go but too much rock-n-roll and shooting w/o ear protection in my youth left me unable to hear all but the huge ones so I just don't notice them. They and the poison ivy do keep the newbies out of my favorite stretch of wilderness river so I admit liking them.

They don't acknowledge friendlies.

As a woman, I am so glad to read some of y'alls posts, especially with my late morning cup of tea. Made me laugh. I dont have a fear of them, I have this overwhelming need to kill them if they are near. It has been this way since I was a child. I would have loved a flame thrower. And it is not just blowing their head off in the first shot, if their body continues to writhe, well, I keep chopping or shooting until it stops.

Oddly, I do not have this angst over other reptiles or amphibians. I love lizards and geckos and they can crawl on me to their hearts content. Spiders not a problem. It is just a snake thing. Down in Texas (Bible Belt), friends used to explain it that I had a double portion of the enmity that God put between woman and the serpent. Up here in Bozeman, with friends that believe in past lives, they explain it that something must have happened in a past life. Whatever it is, it is intense. So while hiking and hunting, I put it out there to the snakes, if they value their lives, stay the hell away from my trail.

Read an article the other day based on the journal Science, Brain has specific radar for snakes. I dont know how valid a study is when you only use 2 monkeys, but I can tell you my brain is seriously hard wired to be on the alert for snakes (still watch leaves for copperheads and expect water moccasins to be in any water). After 7 years, I finally stopped seeing the damn scorpions of Texas everywhere, but will always be ever vigilant for snakes.

I finally stopped seeing the damn scorpions of Texas everywhere katquanna

...most of em are too old to ride motorcycles anymore. I'm more afraid of CPA's on brand new Electra Glides with henna tattoos and a carry permit.;)

To all of you that kill the snakes.

Does your state have a season on them?

A public forum may not be the best place to talk about killing snakes. (if it is illegal in your state);)

Is it ethical to kill a snake that doesn't have an open season? Does that make you a poacher? It is wildlife.

Not trying to start an argument from anyone. Just curious of your thoughts, after all, laws are laws.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back