range finder

Not sure what the "best" would be...factors like what you want to spend and how far you need to range obviously play into it, but I am very pleased with my Vortex Ranger 1000.

My first use on Elk last year - no problem ranging elk handheld out to 550 yards (bull up a hill in an old burn area), and numerous other Elk closer including the cow my son deflated at 430. Other use the past 2 years was deer hunting here in MO and worked like a champ.

I use a Leupy RX-1000 DNA. It works well for bowhunting and riflehunting, and is pretty compact.

Has anyone out there messed with the Leupold Vendetta for bowhunting? Seems like an interesting concept.

I have the $200 Nikon 550. It works great for bowhunting, but isn't the best for ranging anything past 350 yards. It doesn't have any angle compensator either.

If I had to do it all over, I'd spend the extra money for the Leupold 1,000 yard or the Leica 1,600 yard.

I am curious how far you can actually range a deer with these. I know my Leupold 1000 only gets a deer at about 500; which is more than enough for shooting, but can limit you when trying to plan a stalk.

Pretty sure I read here that it ranges out past 1,000 in the field.

I know on sunny days in Wyoming it was tough to get my Nikon to range antelope past 300 yards.

leupold RX1000 - TBR. Very nice unit. Rangefinders, as I understand it, work off of a reflecting item. Most 1000 yard rangefinders will give 600 -700 yards on an animal, realistically. I have ranged out to 890 yards with my leupold on a pine tree in Colorado.

good luck to all
the dog

I am big Leica fan as well. I have used less expensive rangefinders but the Leica's do a great job picking up all ranges on the first try and are much more forgiving when you are measuring different objects. I love them...

I am curious how far you can actually range a deer with these. I know my Leupold 1000 only gets a deer at about 500; which is more than enough for shooting, but can limit you when trying to plan a stalk.

I have a Leica CRF 1200. Deer sized targets typical long ranging capabilities are about 850 for me, and that just comes down to the shake. No doubt in my mind that in good conditions off a tripod you could range deer or elk at advertised max range. I've gotten ranges off cliff faces in the field out past 1400yds with it.

One thing to check with rangefinders is the beam divergence. The nice part of the Leica is that they actually shoot a rectangular beam specifically to make it easier to range game. Most rangefinders are a round beam which can make it a bit more difficult/inconsistent to range critters...

Just looking for archery and muzzleloading. One that is accurate out to 200 yards would be plenty.

I have a Leica 1600, and it ranges things way further then I would ever be shooting. Ranged some elk at a little over1,300 yards once. But like others have said, it is difficult trying to keep your hands from moving too much when you try ranging distances that far. Anyway, I am very happy with it.

Have had Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold. The best of that bunch was the Leupold 1000, but even that maxed out reading about 800 yards. My son left the Leupold on the hill a couple years ago and I replaced it with the Leica CRF 1000. Have had it read treeline and buildings accurately at over 1100 and consistently reads on animals out to 1000. Love it!

ive got a older bushnell scout,{they are cheap now} and it ranges to 400yrds easy,plenty good for bowhunting and is nice and small,Ive also got a nikon 1200,but its a bit bigger,,will get out about 900 plus but have never made 1200 yrds with it.

Back