Rain Pants

HighDesertSage

My experience this year has led me to believe that rain pants for active hunting may be a waste of time. I thought I had a quality pair of rain pants, but during this hunting season everything from the waist down got soaked. Even if it was dry out, I got soaked from the inside out from sweating so much. I found that a good pair of gore-tex gaiters did way more for me than the rain pants I had. By wearing merino wool pants and gaiters I stayed dry below the knees, and above dried quickly if it did rain or snow. This was not ideal, but way better then being completely sopping wet from wearing the rain pants. Does any one else have any experience with this? I spent $170 on these pants probably 6 years ago, after the hunt they were "retired". Now I am trying to decide if I want to pony up $200 + for another pair of rain pants, or just wear wool and gore tex gaiters. Anyone use this combo effectively in the Rocky Mountain Oct/Nov seasons? Or do I need to look at getting a better pair of rain pants? Thanks for the help!

I have a pair of rivers west rain pants with the same result. Rain stays out but you get soaked from the inside. Might've good if you didn't plan on walking 100 yards. I too would like some other ideas.

I have gore tex rain pants and jacket I think the best you can buy from cabelas. I love both of them in any weather. I usually wear a pair of jeans under them. I don't wear them unless it's wet because of the swishing of the gore tex. Wet legs under the knees isn't really a concern for me if I'm hunting, usually I'm walking a lot staying warm.

I found that a good pair of gore-tex gaiters did way more for me than the rain pants I had. By wearing merino wool pants and gaiters I stayed dry below the knees, and above dried quickly if it did rain or snow. This was not ideal, but way better then being completely sopping wet from wearing the rain pants. Does any one else have any experience with this?
We have come to the same conclusion, that is the same solution i have come up with.
With waterproof pants you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, if i was sitting in a tree i might wear them, but for active hunting i prefer the above solution.

Cheers
Richard

I have a pair of the Kuiu Yukon pants and love them. I have wore them everywhere from sheep hunting in AK and moose hunting in Idaho in some very unforgiving terrain. They are tough, breath, and keep you dry, period. Worth every penny IMHO.

There seems to be just enough thorns (of one kind or another) everywhere I hunt to keep me from dropping $300 on the high end stuff. I don't think there are rain pants made that could get me thru a single season dry.

I recently bought KUIU's pack able rain gear, though I haven't worn them in the field yet.

In heavy rain the wool pants and gaiters are not going to work for long.

I have a set of the Core4 Torrent rain gear and it works very well and it pretty quiet as well. I'm sure if I was walking around in it in 70+ degree weather with a full set of clothes under it that I would get hot and sweaty, but in normal hunting weather I've never gotten too wet from sweating. There are lots of zips and vents if you need them if it isn't raining but you don't want to take the rain gear off.

I have cabelas packable rsin gear bins I throw in the pack if I'm worried about rain. They are awesome for very rainy weather and go on and off easily with the leg zippers. They will stuff into a bag that isn't too bulky for most of my situations. They do get hot if it is warm or quits raining but atleast I can take them back off. They are not very brush resistant so I have to be careful.
I second the gaiters and regular pants for light rain. With a longer coat they do great as long as I am on my feet.

Thanks for the info everyone.I think the gaiter/wool pants combo would probably be ok for a day hunt, but an extended backpacking hunt may be a different story. But walking around in 30 degree weather in a rain snow mix resulted in sopping wet pants from the inside out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back