Caribou Gear

R19 Cold Temp Issues?

RevJim

Many like R19 , and it is indeed a good one for speed and accuracy, IMO. Every Handloader I know watches for signs pressure, especially in hot weather. How many have tried ( chronographed/zero checked) their R19 loads when its cold? Say from teens to 45 degrees? I'm curious as most all our hunting seasons are in Fall-winter, and Utah can go from 20 deg to 70 deg in early Elk Season? Thanks.

Simple solution for that. When your developing loads, do it in the spring on about 50* to 70* days. From what I've read about it, the temp spread to go from good to hot is actually quite wide. If your gonna hunt in 0* weather, develop the loads in 50* weather, If your gonna hunt in 100* weather, develop loads in 70* weather. I have never that I am aware of had this temp sensitive powder problem. Of course if your developing loads for 100* weather and doing it when the outside temp is 30*, you might have a problem. Same for loading for 0* weather with the outside temp at 80*+!

I think in the process of reloading a lot of people go out of their way to find a problem that probably never existed in the first place so they can fix it!

Different company, but I did some internet searching when I started using Ramshot powders. Found a lot of people talking about "temperature sensitivity" but nobody really seemed to have much specific info on it. The Ramshot Powders website has and FAQ which discusses their temp testing. Granted, they want your business, but they indicated there was only about a 3% to 5% difference in MV between the temps of -40F and +125F. I just decided not to worry too much about it. I'm not a competition shooter and generally don't shoot farther than about 350yds or so on game. At those distances the difference will be negligible.

I've only had one issue with R19, and that was with a heavily compressed load with the older Barnes 185XLC and 338 WM. I had worked up a good load around 45 deg. I had to use a compressed load to get any real speed with that slick XLC bullet. We had a storm come in a week before my mid December cow elk hunt. I went to check my zero in 10 deg cold and rifle was shooting patterns. I set up my little Chrony and had lost almost 200fps. At home, I pulled the bullets and the powder was in a sold 'cake", had to dig it out with a screwdriver. I ended up working up another load but with H4350, at a lesser speed, but accurate. I killed my cow later that week. Now, it "could" have been a combination of heavy compression, maybe the moisture content in that Lot of powder caused it to cake, who knows? In a 240 Wby, R19 worked wonders. So maybe it was the size of the powder column too, again, who knows? I appreciate the input guys. My scheduled cow hunt for this year is the end of September, so shouldn't be 10 deg! ha

Put your loads on ice in a cooler and check them with an infrared thermometer. You dont have to wait for cold weather.

Shot a load for years using 19 and barnes 180 tsx. The loads always shot well for me in all weather.

MtnHntr- what cartridge was your load in? As I mentioned, I had great results with it in two .240Wbys/90gr Barnes. I got "spooked" after that 338WM episode. Up until then, I never gave cold temps effect much thought. Sure, I always check my zero, and "if" I had ever had any issues, with other powders, it wasn't enough I could tell. I have a friend who, last Spring, loaded/clocked his 24" barreled Mod 70 EW .270W with the 129 LRX and top load in Barnes data. It got a solid 3200fps and fine accuracy in very cold. He was up to his heinie in snow in Colorado, ha. I certainly don't "need" 3200fps from the 129, but I "have to try", ha. So I'm not locked into R19, just curious as to what others have found out/experienced.

I use RL-19 in my 338WM with bullets weighing 210 - 225 grains. This load had killed a bunch of elk in different weather conditions.

Thanks guys, I will give it a whirl, and test it best I can, if it turns out the accuracy and speed are there. This is a "new to me" rifle, so I don't know what it likes yet. I have everything from 110TTSX, 129LRX, 130 Hornady sp, 130, 150 and 160 Partitions . I'll find something it likes! ha

I've found that the issues i have with cartridges loaded with RL19 and cold temperatures is.....
Me...

If i could stop shivering i could probably get some really decent groups.

Never had an issue with cold RL19.

I can imagine it can get pretty cold in PA! ha I was in a shop yesterday, thinking about picking up a pound of R16, just for grins ( its all "grins for me", what am I saying?) anyhow, no 1# bottles but they had an 8# ( I didn't look that close really) for almost $230 bucks! Wow, my "Scots-Irish" thrift o meter went off! Especially for an unknown powder, ha. Thanks for the observation std7mag! :)

I've found that the issues i have with cartridges loaded with RL19 and cold temperatures is.....
Me...

If i could stop shivering i could probably get some really decent groups.

Never had an issue with cold RL19.

Shivers... good point

I have a long range steel match next month. 800-1,000 yards.
I'll either be using my custom Mauser in 284 Win, or my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.

284 Win will be using 160gr TMK over RL19.
7mm Rem Mag might be 180gr Berger with RL19.

I had an incident last fall while hunting white-tailed deer here in Wyoming. My reloading recipe for my 7-08 was 49.5 grs of Reloader 19, 139 grain Hornady SP bullets and Federal Large Rifle primers. This is a compressed load.

The rifle and ammo had been left outside in my vehicle for about 48 hours when night time temperatures fell to 5 degrees below zero and the daytime temperature were not a lot warmer. Just after daylight after the second cold night I had an opportunity to shoot a WT buck. The deer was bout 75 yards away when I pulled the trigger. The sound the shot made was very strange, kinda muffled; nothing like the normal report the rifle had been making while shooting at the range. The deer ran off with no evidence of being hit. I watched the deer run for maybe a half mile. I checked the spot where the deer had been standing and then followed his tracks in the snow for a hundred yards - no blood, hair - nothing. It had been a clean miss. The sound the round made haunted me so I came home and googled temperature sensitivity of Reloader 19. There was some info available, but not much. I still don't know if it was the extreme cold that caused the weird sounding round.

I know it was a rookie mistake, I will never leave the rifle or ammo in extreme temperatures, cold or heat, again.

Two days later, when the temperature was about 45F, I killed a WT buck with the same ammo and everything seemed normal.

ClearCreek

I had an incident last fall while hunting white-tailed deer here in Wyoming. My reloading recipe for my 7-08 was 49.5 grs of Reloader 19, 139 grain Hornady SP bullets and Federal Large Rifle primers. This is a compressed load.

The rifle and ammo had been left outside in my vehicle for about 48 hours when night time temperatures fell to 5 degrees below zero and the daytime temperature were not a lot warmer. Just after daylight after the second cold night I had an opportunity to shoot a WT buck. The deer was bout 75 yards away when I pulled the trigger. The sound the shot made was very strange, kinda muffled; nothing like the normal report the rifle had been making while shooting at the range. The deer ran off with no evidence of being hit. I watched the deer run for maybe a half mile. I checked the spot where the deer had been standing and then followed his tracks in the snow for a hundred yards - no blood, hair - nothing. It had been a clean miss. The sound the round made haunted me so I came home and googled temperature sensitivity of Reloader 19. There was some info available, but not much. I still don't know if it was the extreme cold that caused the weird sounding round.

I know it was a rookie mistake, I will never leave the rifle or ammo in extreme temperatures, cold or heat, again.

Two days later, when the temperature was about 45F, I killed a WT buck with the same ammo and everything seemed normal.

ClearCreek

ClearCreek,

Your lucky that "muffled" sound wasn't just the primer going off.
Bullet stuck in the barrel would have ruined your day on the next trigger pull if it had!

Always safety first, peoples!

ClearCreek,

Your lucky that "muffled" sound wasn't just the primer going off.
Bullet stuck in the barrel would have ruined your day on the next trigger pull if it had!

Always safety first, peoples!

YES, and thinking back I am not sure if I checked the barrel for obstructions after that shot or not.

I damn sure will from now on!

ClearCreek

Extremes of anything can be a surprise ( ever ate too much ice cream in one sitting? :) ) ha 5 below is definitely worth testing over a chronograph some time, just to be sure. I'm not sure if the compression had anything to do with ti either, I just don't know. But it would be a case where, if those extremes are prevalent then an Extreme or Enduron , etc powder is justified. OR, even working up a Winter time, Summer time load, I've done that before but I don't anymore. Its usually pretty doable in cold weather to keep spare ammo in the pocket, one "could" load up the spout when it was time, but if it stays in that cold rifle very long? Worth testing/observing. Glad you didn't split your barrel pard! :)

YES, and thinking back I am not sure if I checked the barrel for obstructions after that shot or not.

I damn sure will from now on!

ClearCreek

Just happy to have you here, telling your tale!

I was shooting my 1911 once when i had a simular experience.
Bang, bang, bang, pop!
The idiot behind the reloading lever forgot to put powder in the case. Bullet was lodged halfway down the barrel.
I was surprised how much force you have to use to dislodge it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back