question public access

redduck

Hello Forum,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question. I am new to big game hunting, and I mainly hunt the refuge system, so I never run into access problems. My question how can I tell if a road is private or not if it's not posted? Meaning if there is a road that starts on private property but eventual goes to public land can I drive on it if it's not labeled private.

Best,
Redduck

What state? I'm not sure it matters. you can check with the county where the road is to see if it's public.

I generally try to stay off private. But occasionally roads will go through private. Your question is when a road ends or starts on private can you use the road on the public land side?

Get a GPS with the chip for your state. Hete in Montana, I drive through private to public all the time. mtmuley

Last edited:
I can't really speak to this for the east but in the west you need to go to the county and get a map of publicly maintained roads or at least ask how for up the road stays public. There are numerous roads that start public but turn private and therefore even though there is a road to a piece of public there is no public access and driving that road, gated or not is treaspassing. Onxmaps uses a similar layer to google and does not differieniate between public and private roads. I have tested onX and a few other GPS systems in MT, WY, and CO and none was able to help me determine access.

It doesn't matter if the land around the road is public or private it matters who maintains the road.

It's a good question. I think the county records are your best bet.

Myself, if it is a road I am traveling on and I see, map wise, it routes through private and continues on to public, I've driven w/o concern. To date, I've not had issues. Private property signs border the road and advise me no trespassing / hunting, certainly respect such and assure with ONXMaps where the private ends and the public begins.

What matters is the easement, not who maintains the roads.

I can show you hundreds of miles of roads/trails that go through private that are maintained by the BLM and FS that have easements that the county does NOT maintain.

What matters is the easement, not who maintains the roads.

I can show you hundreds of miles of roads/trails that go through private that are maintained by the BLM and FS that have easements that the county does NOT maintain.
Im not disagreeeing, but one of the tests in court to see if it is a public road is records of public money to maintain the road. But in MT that is irrelevant; if it is not posted you can use it as far as I know. If you need to determine status without visiting I'd just call the county. Also, just because it is a public road to a trailhead doesn't always mean the trail is open.

Im not disagreeeing, but one of the tests in court to see if it is a public road is records of public money to maintain the road. But in MT that is irrelevant; if it is not posted you can use it as far as I know. If you need to determine status without visiting I'd just call the county. Also, just because it is a public road to a trailhead doesn't always mean the trail is open.

Can you expand on this? I have not seen this in my three years of living here and am wondering how often that happens.....

It's a good question. I think the county records are your best bet.

Myself, if it is a road I am traveling on and I see, map wise, it routes through private and continues on to public, I've driven w/o concern. To date, I've not had issues. Private property signs border the road and advise me no trespassing / hunting, certainly respect such and assure with ONXMaps where the private ends and the public begins.

thank you

In my experience if it's on public land, it's public. Crossing over onto the private side is where it can be questionable. If it dead ends on private I'd stop at the private fence. If it just passes through private and goes back on public it's usually going to be ok.

Back