Question on Outfitter

Rac1282

Hello I am a newbie to this forum. I also want to say I am a big fan of the show. I would like someday to do what you do.
For the last 2 years, I have really been thinking about hunting in IA, IL or Canada for whitetail deer. I would really like to do something on my own, but i thought for the first time I would like to use an Outfitter. I came across IMB Outfitters on the internet and I get monthly emails from them about hunts. My questions is has anyone used IMB Outfitters? I think they are based out of MO and from what i have read they lease land all around the country. What do you guys think about outfitters in general? Any advice?
Thanks in advanced
Rich

I've never used a guide before, but after talking with Randy about his trip to the midwest last year, it definitely seems plausible to find some really nice deer on your own. I've never traveled much for hunting, but there's enough people on here and resources online to come up with a great trip without getting a guide. Obviously, if you do hunt leased land, you're chances of shooting a big buck increase, but anyone can do that. Shoot, why bother with the midwest? There's plenty of nice whities out here and the scenery and fishing is ten times better.

I've never used a guide before, but after talking with Randy about his trip to the midwest last year, it definitely seems plausible to find some really nice deer on your own. I've never traveled much for hunting, but there's enough people on here and resources online to come up with a great trip without getting a guide. Obviously, if you do hunt leased land, you're chances of shooting a big buck increase, but anyone can do that. Shoot, why bother with the midwest? There's plenty of nice whities out here and the scenery and fishing is ten times better.

Thanks for the info. I only wanted to use Outfitter because everything is all set up. Lodge,food, stands, blinds, food plots, etc, etc. I would really like to do something on my own. But I don't know where to go,such as land, county's, etc. I don't know how to go about getting a licence for that area. Is there drawings? or can I walk into a sporting good store and buy a non resident for that area. Also where to stay. Things like that. I was looking to use an outfitter in lets say IA this year and maybe next year ill do something there on my own. At least I will know where I am and can look into other things while I am there this year with an outfitter. MT is mine and my dads dream to visit. He loves to fish, and I love to hunt and fish. So that would be a great place to visit and hunt. I have hunted for about 10 years, maybe longer. I have got my share of NY bucks but I want something bigger then what NY has to offer. That's why I am looking to go out of state, plus I have never been out west before.
Thanks,
Rich

I'm by no means against going on a guided hunt. I just prefer chasing them on my own and it's the only way I can afford to hunt. When you do get around to lining up something on your own, the Resources section on the website is a good place to start. Plenty of information on each state. I'm not as "seasoned" as most of the folks here, so I can only offer up ideas for hunts in Virginia and Montana (and my Montana knowledge is limited to only a few years of hunting).

I'm by no means against going on a guided hunt. I just prefer chasing them on my own and it's the only way I can afford to hunt. When you do get around to lining up something on your own, the Resources section on the website is a good place to start. Plenty of information on each state. I'm not as "seasoned" as most of the folks here, so I can only offer up ideas for hunts in Virginia and Montana (and my Montana knowledge is limited to only a few years of hunting).

Thanks again for the info. As i stated above I am new here, I didnt know about the Resources section. I will check that out. I guess Virginia would be a good place to start, i am only 5-6 hours from there. Thanks again for the info.
If anyone else has anything else they would like to add, please do.
Thanks
Rich

I would not go to Virginia to deer hunt. I love it there, but there's about 30 other states, including the ones you already mentioned, that I would go to first.

I watched a show last night that said Nebraska deer tags are over the counter for out of state and the eastern side of the state , next to IA, ;) has some really nice deer. Check out the NE DNR website and make a few calls and I bet you can do it on your own.

Garret

I would not go to Virginia to deer hunt. I love it there, but there's about 30 other states, including the ones you already mentioned, that I would go to first.

Why do you say? I just have been looking at Virginia and it is looking pretty good. It is close to me and doesnt look that expensive.

I watched a show last night that said Nebraska deer tags are over the counter for out of state and the eastern side of the state , next to IA, ;) has some really nice deer. Check out the NE DNR website and make a few calls and I bet you can do it on your own.

Garret

Thanks for the info. Ill check that out. I checked out a Virginia site and it says i can buy licence over the internet.

I have been looking on a few different sites. I cam up with Fairy Stone State Park in Patrick County, VA. They have many different camp sites with cabins also. I am going to look into this more. Has anyone hunted VA?

If you want to come to Iowa you'll have to get in to the draw game.I varies from unit to unit as to how many points you will need.Missiouri is cheep and over the counter.I think Nebraska may be first come first serve but not sure on that.Lots of options just depends on what trips your trigger and how much green your willing to part with.

If you want to come to Iowa you'll have to get in to the draw game.I varies from unit to unit as to how many points you will need.Missiouri is cheep and over the counter.I think Nebraska may be first come first serve but not sure on that.Lots of options just depends on what trips your trigger and how much green your willing to part with.

I have heard that about IA. I am sure NE might be a little to late, but is worth looking into for next year. I would like to hunt all those place. A buddy of mine went to IL about 2 years ago and got a really nice buck, something what I am after. He went through an Outfitter, and made a drive from NY. I am going to call him tomorrow as well to find out more info. But after thinking about it and doing a little reading, I think going somewhere a little closer is my best bet for this year. Someone brought up VA. I came going to call around tomorrow to get more info. Again I am new to the do it yourself. i think this is my best bet. Hopefully I can get something together for this year.
Thanks for the info.
Rich

I love hunting western Virginia. There's definitely some nice deer in the state, but not as many as most others. I wouldn't really consider it a destination spot for hunting. A lot of that has to do with the fact that you can shoot two or three bucks a year. There's also a lot of hunting with dogs (yes, for deer) east of the Blue Ridge, which can absolutely ruin a day of hunting since those rednecks have no control over their animals. A lot of nice bucks come from the central part of the Blue Ridge. Areas around Bedford and Botetourt counties usually produce good bucks. I used to hunt some private land surrounded by national forest in Patrick County and there were some huge deer by anyone's standards where we hunted. You can't hunt within the Blue Ridge Parkway boundary, so areas along the ridge can be pretty good. I hunted a farm that backed up to the parkway, which is where I killed one of my two big bucks. Shoot me a private message if you get serious about Virginia. You won't have trouble finding deer, but if you're looking to shoot a big buck, I would like elsewhere.

I love hunting western Virginia. There's definitely some nice deer in the state, but not as many as most others. I wouldn't really consider it a destination spot for hunting. A lot of that has to do with the fact that you can shoot two or three bucks a year. There's also a lot of hunting with dogs (yes, for deer) east of the Blue Ridge, which can absolutely ruin a day of hunting since those rednecks have no control over their animals. A lot of nice bucks come from the central part of the Blue Ridge. Areas around Bedford and Botetourt counties usually produce good bucks. I used to hunt some private land surrounded by national forest in Patrick County and there were some huge deer by anyone's standards where we hunted. You can't hunt within the Blue Ridge Parkway boundary, so areas along the ridge can be pretty good. I hunted a farm that backed up to the parkway, which is where I killed one of my two big bucks. Shoot me a private message if you get serious about Virginia. You won't have trouble finding deer, but if you're looking to shoot a big buck, I would like elsewhere.

Thanks for posting all that. The area that I am looking at doesn't allow dogs. It is in Fairy Stone state park in Patrick county. Ill check the map to see where Blue Ridge is to Patrick. I did see it mentioned on the website though. I am probably going to go with my buddy ( the guy that went to IL). I figured it all out already it will cost us roughly $1000 each. That's with lodging 4 days, hunting licence, tolls, fuel and food. Not counting taxidermy, if we get one. For a price like that, it seems like a good starting point. I have been hunting on 2 properties for years and I know the properties like the back of my hand. I know where and when the deer move, bedding areas, and feeding areas. Hunting in another state on much, much bigger property will be a challenge. We are basically going in at it blind, and that's what I want. I was thinking of going down a day early just to scout and set up our blinds or stands. And 3 days to hunt. I know you mentioned before that anyone can book a guide and take a deer. I figured it would be money well spent. Going to a much further state, like out west. Lodging, licence, food, etc. Is a real costly do it yourself adventure. I was only say before that I would like to do an Outfitter in say IA, and then maybe going back on my own. I am not looking to kill a world record tremendous monster, If that happens that would be great. Don't get me wrong, LOL. Just looking to get something a little bigger then what I am use to seeing.
I already spoke to the wife and called my brother and dad. They cant do the trip. I am going to call my buddy tomorrow. If he says yes, then it is a go. So I am Very serious about hunting VA. I am send you a PM right Now.
Again thanks a lot for the info.
Rich

Wisconsi and Minnestota are over the counter tags and they are affordable under $200.00 for a tag.The public hunting has alot of pressure during the gun season in wisconsin but the first season in minnesota isnt to bad plus its a great time of year to catch rutting deer the minn 1st season is right around Nov 6 or 7. Here is the one I shot on public land there last year on my own.
MNswampbuck.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back