Yeti GOBOX Collection

Question on common practice

dcrow02s

Hello to all-
I am new to the site and new to elk hunting all together. I will be headed out to NFS land in two weeks for several days in search of elk and possibly some deer. My question is for those of you who are hunting for several days how do you store the meat you may obtain in the first day? I know there are a lot of variables involved, i.e temperatures, amenities at camp and the amount of meat, but would appreciate some feedback on what your common practice is. I do have several large coolers but also understand that it won't take long to fill a cooler. We will be staying in a primitive cabin no power (refrigeration).

I have tried searching the resources of the site and appreciate the knowledge I have gained from you all. I am new to MT (1st year) and have for many years dreamed about the opp. to be able to drive an hour and hunt big game. Thanks in advance-Dave

A couple coolers and ice is all you need. Once the meat gets cooled down, you won't need to add much ice from day-to-day, especially with the cooler temperatures we're finally getting. You can also bag some snow if you're up high enough. If you're in bear country, make sure to keep the coolers out of reach. Good luck and let us know how things went.

If no bears and you get it out in quarters, just hang them in a tree. They should be fine for a few days. I just skin them out and put game bags over them. Its all good!

Highmountain is correct. This time of year, when it is getting cold every night, skinning and hanging the quarters in game bags will keep them fine for at least three or four days. Just make sure that they are in the shade so the daytime sun is not shining on them.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your hunts. Post your stories and pics.

Exactly; if you have coolers, throw them in there unless there are bears. You can slice and dice and store meat in those coolers even if you don't have ice but only IF the temps are cold enough. When we do the annual family hunt in Colorado, we butcher after letting the meat hang/cure for a bit (get a nice glaze on the surface) and usually with the temps the way they are, we've never had to deal with spoilage. Yeti coolers (or others) work very well. :D

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully storing meat IS something that I will need to worry about:) I will update with a story and pics as the season moves forward. Best -David

As quite a few people said above 1/4 it ,pack it,hang it high!! and i'm sure you'll make alot of animals happy with what you left behind!!you might even pick-up a few pet birds!!Most of all enjoy it when your feasting on it!!

Hey, it looks like a few of you guys actually been successful over the years!!a couple of ya actually know what your talkin about!!HAA HAA!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back