Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Proud....

Duck-Slayer

My wife drew a cow tag this year in the area I bowhunted for elk in, we had Fri., Sat., Sun., too hunt, we dropped the kids off at the grand parents house on thursday night, headed up the mountain and got the camper and stuff all ready for the morning hunt, we slipped into the area that I shot my spike with my bow, no fresh sign when we walked in, in the dark that I could see, sat till about noon and nothing, went too a different area for the afternoon, we saw a black bear at 150 yards other than that it was slow, had too drag my wife out of bed on Sat. morning, she wanted too sleep in so bad, so we went too a ridge line above where we were the previous morning, you can cover about 4 ridges from this spot, so we sat from sun up and than about 9:20 a.m. I look over and there is a cow on the opposite side hill, I told the wife, she kept an eye on it while I got her set up, ranged it at 306 yards, pulled the cap off the turret, looked at my chart on the stalk, said 6 clicks for 300, dialed her in got her set up on my pack, she got the cow in the scope, I turned up the power on the scope, "she has a hard time finding them and turning the power on the scope up, so I helped", I pulled up the binos and BOOM, dropped that cow instantly, perfect shot right behind the shoulder alittle high like I showed her too do "no blood trailing" got the top of both lungs and broke her back, she did shoot her a second time in the neck cause she was flopping her head around my wife felt bad, so we reloaded and finished her, was so awesome, I can still see that cow rolling down the hill in my binos :D, we watched alittle bit, than packed back too the wheeler, went too the top of the mountain, called in my buddy Tony and his friend Bill, they weren't gonna be able too get there for 4 hours, so the wife and I dropped down went too the cow, got the front and hind quarter and 1 backstrap off and deboned it and up the hill we went, wife packed out the front all by herself, she was proud, and the I was very proud, was a great hunt, met Tony and Bill at camp around, 3, went back up, got the other half, now if you have never been over by hells canyon, well its freak'n steep too say the least, but it was awesome, my wife is a trooper for sure, we both shot our first elk in the same year, shot mine on Aug. 30, and she got hers on Oct. 20, here are a few pictures...
Matt
the morning about 30 min. before she shot
IMG_0439.jpg

The Kill
IMG_0447.jpg

The pack out - 600 yards, but very steep
IMG_0454.jpg

Congratulations to the little lady! You really do have a full freezer now. I'm just down the hill if you need a place to store that spike..

Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing. Grats to your wife on a great shot and packing out a heafty chunk!

Damp is an understatement, it rained almost all day and 30 seconds after the pack picture it started snowing, about an inch when we got back too the wheeler
Matt

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back