Prototyping 2019 Howa Rifles

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many have asked what I will be shooting in 2018. We (Howa and I) have been working on that since SHOT Show. The first rifles are now coming to me and I am mounting new scopes, dialing in new ammo, breaking them in, and conducting the experiments that Howa and I discussed in January. Based on my upcoming season of experiments, I will meet with Howa later this year and we will decide what, if any, I have found that would be worth bringing to market for 2019.

Today was the first day at the range with one of the new options. A "purdy" rifle, if ever I was sent one (Michael has the images on his camera and I will try to get one loaded). But, purdy means nothing if not accurate. Well, accurate, it is.

After a 20-shot barrel break-in, I worked the CDS dials to the 100 yard zero. Then, shot a 3-shot group. Swabbed a dry patch and shot another 3-shot group. Swabbed dry again, and then a final 3-shot group.

Here are the results at 100 yards. After Group #3, a person of my limited talents knew it was time to call it good, at least for today. Will do some more shooting and see if these results continue.

Howa grouping.jpg

For the serious shooters, more serious than I, here is the poop of the set-up

--> Cartridge 7mm-.08
--> Ammo - Nosler factory 140 grain E-Tip Trophy Grade
--> Scope - Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x
--> Wind - W to NW 6-14 mph

It was so much fun that after these groups I set the dials to the 400 meter gong and listened to the sound of music over the next six rounds. Boom.....doink. Boom.....doink.

Not sure what my notes will say after a season of hunting with so many different rifle/stock/barrel/cartridge combinations, but I suspect this first rifle has made a positive impression. It will come to AK with me for Sitka Blacktail and Dall Sheep. Hopefully I can perform as well is this set-up can perform.

Will post a video about the prototyping idea on our YouTube channel tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back