Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pros and Cons of A Springer?

Springers would probably be better for crawling around in the brush getting uplands out, and still be decent water retrievers. Labs would probably be better swimmers and at retrieving in water, but still decent upland hunters.

... So I would lean towards the springer if you hunt more upland birds and towards the lab if you hunt more waterfowl.

But, every dog is different, this is just what I have seen comparing my parent's springers and my uncle's labs.

Just made that same decision last week....and I went with a yellow lab. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

CABugle

If you get a springer make sure its from field stock or dual stock (ie dual champion) I wouldnt get show stock springer for the field.

Always had labs, so I don't know much about the springer, heard they are good upland dogs. For labs though, I've had both the english lab (shorter legs, very bulky, big block head, thick coat) and the american lab (more slender, taller, looks more like a pointer build, thinner coat) They've both been great, but I think the English version is a better water dog, more tolerable to the cold. The american has been a better land dog, but still good in the water, untill it gets too cold and she wusses out.

Dito blue devil. Nice description. I am a lab guy myself. My first finished lab started to point. Hunted behind sprigers, and all of them have been closing-working, awesome field dogs. Problem : long coats are messy. A lab may be more versitle if you are still deciding.

I am thinking I am going to go with the Springer, just for a little variety in life. Not 100% sure yet though. As for the hair...yeah...that will be different than I'm used to, but I have no intention of letting it get all shaggy and will not be getting a bench dog, so hopefully it'll have shorter hair...

Thanks guys

It would be a lab for me.Better all around dog.If you have kids i think a lab is a good choice.Good luck got to love mans best friend.

I grew up with springers and hunted mostly waterfowl with them. I think if your going to get in much moving water and hunting of geese, especially greaters, then the springer is just a little bit too small of a dog. Flat water waterfowl and upland our springers did just fine at both. I've got a 98lb choco lab now and he is definitely better at retrieving the large geese on cold moving water than were our springers. Labs are awesome dogs for kids, not little kids in my opinion as their tails are lethal weapons to anything less than 48" tall, and sometimes even then. Both seemed hyper when young and calm down pretty well as they age. One great thing I've found with a lab, at least the one I've got is, he won't crap in the yard! Not sure where he learned it, but he always runs out to the back 40 (back half of my 2acres) and craps, it's awesome. Our springers crapped everywhere.

Another vote for the Lab here. Cant really think of anything a Springer can do that a Lab cant, but for waterfowl the Lab just simply beats the Springer.

Last season Katy was used on Quail to 10+ lbs Honkers

I love labs.... that is an established fact...I just think I'm going to go for something a little different...

I spend way too much time big game hunting to be able to bird hunt much and any goose hunting I do will be over a dry field... I am really looking for a hiking buddy and a good buddy to my kids... any issues with them not liking kids? I've never heard of any....

I love labs.... that is an established fact...I just think I'm going to go for something a little different...

I spend way too much time big game hunting to be able to bird hunt much and any goose hunting I do will be over a dry field... I am really looking for a hiking buddy and a good buddy to my kids... any issues with them not liking kids? I've never heard of any....

Must have missed this post. Having grown up with uncles who had both, springers seemed to always have the nose, but labs had staying power. Just an observation hunting sagehen and pheasants in the 70's.

Went with the Springer... lil shit is a Ball of fire....
Gday1rs.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back