Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

pronghorn vitals size?

Paul in Idaho

I'm practicing with my bow for my first archery antelope hunt. About what diameter target would you say is a good match to a pronghorn's vital area?

I didn't get a chance to loose an arrow last season, but I have the same tag this year.

While at Cabela's I saw their taxidermy display and took this photo for shot placement reference. How does this look - red dot for ideal point, with oval area being a clean kill through the lungs?

IMG_4702.jpg

Move your dot forward about 3-4" and keep the orientation of the dot and the circle.

Topgun, JLS, thank you. I was thinking that forward of the red dot would risk the arrow striking the shoulder blade, possibly preventing a clean pass-through shot. Is the shoulder bone further forward than I thought?

Forgive my artwork, but this is pretty close to the bone structure.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 995
Paul in Idaho and JLS- great outlines of vitals and bones. This is a nice visual of what it is. And very helpful. Thanks!

I would move the center dot a couple inches lower. The heart and lungs sit fairly low in an antelope. I have guided literally hundreds of archery antelope hunts and by far the most common mistake is shooting too high.

Thanks for the helpful info and images. It helps me visualize things better. The shoulder blade is smaller and angled further forward than I was thinking.

Wayyyyyy too many people aim too far back on deer, elk and antelope. If you have a dog feel it's shoulder blades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back