Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pronghorn Scent Glands

Jhoellein

Doing my first Pronghorn hunt this year, I have been given some different opinions when it comes to the removal of the scent glands. I was told don't remove them in the field unless you are going to field dress your pronghorn. The other opinion was that they should be removed immediately. Appreciate any advice you all have.

There are others that have more knowledge and experience than I do I've only killed three, but I did the gutless method very soon after the kill and had no problems with meat. I've never gutted one as all in my group also did gutless, it works very well and you don't need to worry about them.

Don't eat it or rub it all over the meat and you'll be fine. Kinda like hair on the "meat".

Do you eat the dried outer casing on your game meat? If you do, clean it up. If you toss it when you cut and trim your animal, don't worry about what's on it.

If your gunna be in the field for more than a day skin it without touching the glands...wash hands bone and put boned out meat in a cooler. If u don't touch the glands they wont be an issue

FYI, a bit of trivia: The American Pronghorn Antelope meat is not venison. The closest species to the pronghorn is the giraffe. After hunting success in downing a pronghorn, skin it being careful to not touch the scent glands, clean the meat as well as possible and COOL it immediately. That practice optimizes the quality, flavor, and tenderness of pronghorn antelope meat.

If you drive around for several days with the pronghorn in the bed of your pickup, showing off the horns of your buck ... then expect that the meat will be less than desirable to consume.

WapitiBob is giving sage advice. If you process your animal in the field, be extra careful to not touch the scent gland and then touch the meat.

WapitiBob is giving sage advice. If you process your animal in the field, be extra careful to not touch the scent gland and then touch the meat.

I plan on field "gutless" dressing, I assume the glands I should avoid touching are in the same places as a deer? Or, do I need to be looking up giraffe anatomy? :)

I plan on field "gutless" dressing, I assume the glands I should avoid touching are in the same places as a deer? Or, do I need to be looking up giraffe anatomy? :)

yes if you are referring to the tarsal glands.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back