Pronghorn meat processing

We take our food saver vacuum packer hunting with us and process our own ASAP.Freeze it on dri ice in our 6 day Coleman cooler.
I did that one year. Haven't and likely won't again. Too much hassle. Much easier, IMO/E, to do the processing at home.

NOTE: keep your hands off of the scent areas. This OIL will transfer to the meat and taint the taste. NO SCENT GLANDS TO BE TOUCHED.

good luck to al
the dog

NOTE: keep your hands off of the scent areas. This OIL will transfer to the meat and taint the taste. NO SCENT GLANDS TO BE TOUCHED.

good luck to al
the dog

I had to look this up to get an idea of exactly where these glands are located. This description was courtesy of animaldiversity.org..."Pronghorns have scent glands that emit pheromones to attract or identify mates. These pheromones are important to interactions between sexes. Scent glands are located on either side of the jaw, between the hooves, on the rump, and above the tail. The glands on the neck are larger in males and are thought to be associated with sexual interaction as they are more active during the rutting season. Before mating, a male will approach a female from behind and shake his head to emit pheromones to attract the female." http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Antilocapra_americana/

I would imagine the need for care around the glands on the rump/tail need particular attention?

Here is a good study on antelope meat handling. Page five offers the findings of aging. Probably still a matter of preference however, so take it for what it is worth.

http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B565R.pdf

Wow...this was a really good read! I will probably rethink the ageing beyond a couple days. I do like the idea of some antelope sausage, I've got plenty of ground pork already in the freezer to aid with that as well. Appreciate the link!

That was a good read, thanks for posting that up BR-549.

I always had a theory that Antelope hide contributed to some of the "antelope sucks" mentality - but according to the study a quicker cooler time is a driving factor and not necessarily the hide. Cool to see someone actually studied this.

Here is a good study on antelope meat handling. Page five offers the findings of aging. Probably still a matter of preference however, so take it for what it is worth.

http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B565R.pdf
Thanks for posting that. It reminded of one they did on elk. It turns out they have done quite a bit of stuff so I started a thread in the "after the shot" section so searches will find it easier. http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2453721#post2453721

That is a good article and reinforces some good points about the lack of a need to age etc.

The one thing that people need to remember, is that ideal aging is done in a controlled environment. Hanging a chunk of meat for an extended period in a tree, garage etc., can get everything from super-freeze to warm afternoons, which is not doing it any good.

The only reason that I ever leave meat for an extended period, is when it is sitting in my downstairs fridge or in an ice chest for a few days due to my in-ability to get to it.

That was a really interesting article. I would like to see if any similar studies were done with deer and elk.

I've never hunted antelope but I'm curious as to how much fat they have compared to deer or elk and if the fat is as bitter as well. Any opinions?

Very little fat but I can't tell you what I tastes like as I have no fat, casing, or membrane on any of my game meat.

I like processing my own as I and my wife are pretty carefull on trimming it all up.

I've never hunted antelope but I'm curious as to how much fat they have compared to deer or elk and if the fat is as bitter as well. Any opinions?

It depends on how good their range is. I have seen some pretty fat antelope and some that have virtually none. The deer here around my house are crop-fed and look like you dipped them in a vat of candle wax.

I have always wondered why so many people dislike antelope meat. Then one day I went to pick mine up at the processor and saw at least a half dozen on the floor that were gutted but had the hide still on. They were in the fridge, but the closest antelope unit was at least an hour away. I couldn't help but think that they were gutted and tossed in the back of a pickup in the 80 degree heat and driven to the processor. This is certainly enough to spoil any game meat in my book. I have always skinned and quartered my goats in the field and gotten them on ice quickly and have never had poor tasting antelope (except for chef error...). I would also try to let the meat hang for a few days if possible. Good luck!

I have NEVER skinned and quartered an antelope in the field in 35 years. Yes, get them cool as quickly as possible, but don't feel like you need to have them on ice as soon as their heart stops beating. I have had to hang them, hide on, for a day or two sometimes. Gutted with some airflow will cool them down fine. Antelope hide doesn't insulate like elk. If you can't flash freeze one, don't worry. mtmuley

Back