Sheep meat any good?

Gr8bawana

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I have a question for those few of you who have taken a desert sheep. Is the meat good to eat? Does it taste like mutton?
I do like lamb chops but those come from fairly young lambs.

Sheep from Montana are sure good. I don’t think it really tastes like domestic lamb, it seems closer to deer for me. Even an older ram.

Not at all like domestic sheep. Mine was an 8.5 year old ram. Very mild flavor, similar to deer. A little "chewy".

We have one roast remaining, saving it for a special occasion. It will be cooked in a crockpot, with a vinegar based sauce.

Also Made about 6 dozen sheep "Brats" that turned out very well. They were a Family favorite.

I’ve had stone back straps by far the best meat I’ve ever ate!

I’d really like to try a sheep that isn’t a rutted up November ram. I like most all wild game, and my wife’s ram in November did not taste good at all. My friend shot a ram with his bow in the same area in September and said it was good.

I’d really like to try a sheep that isn’t a rutted up November ram. I like most all wild game, and my wife’s ram in November did not taste good at all. My friend shot a ram with his bow in the same area in September and said it was good.
I find this comment and others interesting about rutty meat. The two bucks I shot this year were both in rut mode, but the meat isn’t strong in taste at all. How would you describe the taste? Gamey?

We just grilled some round steaks off my California bighorn this weekend. Good stuff. Even my wife who's a little "exotic game" squeamish, thought it tasted about like deer - just a little chewy. She did go back for seconds ;).

My November ram smelled and tasted like burnt hair. Yuck. Dall sheep is really good.
That's too bad. Think it was the rut?

I've had a couple steaks off different BH shot in October, they were pretty good, not remarkable, but ok.

I've eaten a pile of dall sheep 25ish? they were all pretty good except 2. One was fowl tasting, almost rotten flavored. It was killed in and the refrigerator in 18 hrs and easily the best cared for meat I've ever managed in AK, the other had pastey type texture, but tasted ok. It was also care for well. The ram was 12yo, I assumed that had something to do with it.

If you like game meat, I can't imagine not liking sheep. If you're picky, you will taste it and may not like it. It's nothing like domestic lamb or mutton. Tates like wild game. I wouldn't call it the best meat out there, maybe in the top 5, maybe...

I find this comment and others interesting about rutty meat. The two bucks I shot this year were both in rut mode, but the meat isn’t strong in taste at all. How would you describe the taste? Gamey?
It’s kind of hard to explain the taste. I’m not a fussy eater by any stretch and regularly eat rutted up mule deer without complaint. I made 50/50 sheep pork snack sticks with some of it, and even those took on that taste.

That's too bad. Think it was the rut?

I've had a couple steaks off different BH shot in October, they were pretty good, not remarkable, but ok.

I've eaten a pile of dall sheep 25ish? they were all pretty good except 2. One was fowl tasting, almost rotten flavored. It was killed in and the refrigerator in 18 hrs and easily the best cared for meat I've ever managed in AK, the other had pastey type texture, but tasted ok. It was also care for well. The ram was 12yo, I assumed that had something to do with it.

If you like game meat, I can't imagine not liking sheep. If you're picky, you will taste it and may not like it. It's nothing like domestic lamb or mutton. Tates like wild game. I wouldn't call it the best meat out there, maybe in the top 5, maybe...
Not sure if it was the rut. I still can't wrap my head around how the rut would taint the meat on an animal???? I get it may have an external smell but how does it affect muscle taste? Just thoughts that keep me up at nigt lol

I may be an outlier… I love Dall sheep and have eaten loads of it. The Bighorn that I shot in Montana was absolutely terrible. It was straight up mutton.

We ate 12.5 year old ram (WY) and it was outstanding. Did not taste like mutton. More of a mild venison base.

I've eaten meat from my daughters October desert ewe and my December 8 year old desert ram.

Both tasted fine, I couldn't tell much difference from deer or elk. Different flavor, quite lean but reasonable table fare.

The desert rut is going to be August, so your tag is post rut.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back