Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

PreHunt Scouting- Does this make sense???

SWMontana1

I have a close friend who goes up to his honey hole during August, about every 3-5 days. When he checks his trail cam, he is constantly cow calling (mews and estrus calls), he also drops some cow urine on the ground as he walks... He tells me that he is letting the bulls know that a cow or cows are in this spot and when they are rutting, they will remember that and come down to his honey hole to look for these cows.... I'm not sure I'm buying it but on the otherhand, he is an accomplished hunter...

Your thoughts? Calling for bulls early to let them know that cows are available in that area? Does that even make sense?

It does make sense. I started to take big shits on Kodiak this spring and a few days later indian Larry shot a big brownie!

It does make sense. I started to take big shits on Kodiak this spring and a few days later indian Larry shot a big brownie!

I went to a Dr. Deer (James Kroll) speech several years back. According to him, doe urine and new car smell exhibit similar efficacy.. Go figure.

A honey hole is sweet because there are animals there already. Covering up your scent and calling makes sense to ensure you keep it a honey hole and do not spook something off, or blow them out.

As long as it makes him feel good I guess. The good thing about my honey holes are I know elk are in them so I don't need to visit with them every five days, usually one nice close encounter is enough to get them to come home with me.

ahhh...but wouldn't you like to go visit them every 5 days... i'd kill to be able to do that. If I'm lucky I get one trip in the summer, then 10-15 days during the season. i wish I could just LIVE in my honey hole!!!

As for calling and scenting... dont know? But if it works for him...then... so be it.

If it works, then why not?

I don't know how long human scent sticks around , but from a human perspective if I came to my home every few days and smelled a new female perfume I'd be curious, and suspicious...

If it works, then why not?

I don't know how long human scent sticks around , but from a human perspective if I came to my home every few days and smelled a new female perfume I'd be curious, and suspicious...

But you would probably waltz through the door every day with a little pep in your step and heightened excitement though, right?? :hump:

Back