Preference Point Question

Kingsnake

Still figuring things out here...Please correct or advise, if you are able to do so.

It appears that if I apply for an elk license in WY but am unsuccessful, I will be refunded my license fee. If I add additional money with my application, I can still be awarded preference points (even though I missed the preference point only drawing earlier in the year).

What happens if I am successful in getting a license, but then I am unable to actually make the hunt happen? Does the license fee just disappear?

Thanks!

For Wyoming, I believe you pretty much have to be on your death bed to get your license fee refunded. (Prior to the season). At least for WYO, you better be prepared to hunt or consider it a donation.

Yep, unless it's a very serious illness that a Doctor verifies in writing and says you can't hunt it's pretty well donated. About the only other way would be if you're active military and come down on orders and can send that paperwork to the G&F asking for a refund. As far as the application for the draw is concerned you can apply for a PP at that time with an extra $50 for the PP. If you get your first choice in the draw they refund that $50 because you can't get a PP and a first choice license in the same calendar year. If you don't pay for a PP then and don't get your first choice in the draw you can buy a PP during the PP only application period that is 7/1-9/30.

Last edited:
For Wyoming, I believe you pretty much have to be on your death bed to get your license fee refunded. (Prior to the season). At least for WYO, you better be prepared to hunt or consider it a donation.

Yep. I looked in to it last year, and they're very strict about returning tags. I wouldn't apply unless you know you can make the hunt, or are okay with eating the tag and points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back