Pre Rut in Wy Bighorns-advice?

gotitwithmybow

I have an archery tag in the Bighorn Mts of Wy. I am going to hunt first two weeks of Sept. This will be pre-rut, early rut. Any advice for tactics? I killed an elk out of a tree stand one time. I actually loved the experience. Will be looking for active wallows. Thanks and good luck with your hunts.

You will have plenty of luck calling in elk 2nd week of Sept.First week,Id let out locater bugles at sunrise to locate a bull to try and stalk or call.Sitting over water or wallows is always good idea,and better option then sitting back at camp

Thanks mixedbag, yes, will stay out as long as Im not pressuring bedded elk. I can sit in camp when I'm dead:) Unit 35 Badger 55

Got ya... Ive been hunting out there for 7 years now. Not exactly 35 but mixed bag is right. Get on google and find some vat age points glass and glass with some locating calls during the prime time hours. Things can get hot aND heavy the 2nd week. Younger 6pts will start pushing cows, big boys will let them do all the work then slide in. Opportunistic boys, spot and stalk is a great way, but I have seen them light up with just a few cow squeaks here and there. Good luck, excited for ya!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back