Poor folks supper

Have you ever heard the term poor folks supper?

• Yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters
My paternal grannie could turn 5 bucks into a feast...red beans, cornbread, fried potatoes, hot bacon grease wilted greens, and cheap country fried pork steak. Made black coffee you could slice.

Poor comfort food . . .

Depends when and where. We got stuck with pintos because my mother was ftom the Southwest instead of the South. And my father, like many transitioning to working for someone else and living out of supermarket and discount store, had a chip on his shoulder about keeping a garden.

I grow and eat a variety of beans and peas. Sometimes that and cornbread or biscuit or hoecake is the whole meal.

And there is no chow-chow nor mayo on any of it, even though my wife makes the best I've ever had by far .

Screenshot_20231205-100433.png

Last edited:
man, i don't know what you'd call a poor folks supper where i grew up.

probably eggo waffles with margarine and kroger "maple syrup"

Had lots of pintos and cornbread growing up, but the pintos we froze fresh from our garden, and they were delicious. And, yes, there was chow-chow.

And my sister and mother did put cornbread into a glass of milk and eat/drink it. I never did.

Mom made something called hobo stew. Burger, macaroni noodles and tomato juice. More like a soup than a stew. We ate the crap out of it with buttered wonderbread.

I was running low on time and inspiration the other night and couldn't figure out what to make for dinner until I remembered this thread. Made me recall a "poor person meal" that I used to make in college. Burger, onion, and potatoes all pretty heavily seasoned and mashed/smashed/mixed together. Call it a hash if you will. Even cracked a couple eggs on top to make it go further. Really hit the spot. Not picture worthy though.

If your using a ham bone you ain't very poor. Any self respecting southern uses hocks and yes the cornbread goes in a bowl with a splash of milk. Matamuskeet sweet onions diced on top of the beans.

We ate a lot Perlo growing up too..squirrel, rabbit, ect whatever meat we could round up went into the pot.

Have a pot of beans with a ham bone, ham chunks and onions going in the crock pot right now. Will enjoy it with some corn bread later.

We often eat "Hutch-a-ma-grundy" (spelling varies) but it's basically any leftovers we have are going to be supper.

I was so poor when I was growing up my brothers and me would take turns running outside to bark at cars because we couldn’t afford a dog. We ate beans and taters, Biscuits and gravy, Garden stuff and a lot of squirrel, deer, rabbits and anything else in season. I guess it grew on me because I still eat it today, still bark at cars too… IMG_9303.jpegIMG_9306.jpeg

Never heard of it, and I’d never heard of chow chow (except as a dog breed) either. Had to google that one.

Is chilli on top of a cinnamon roll just a MT thing? I remember having that during school lunches and at home. I should do that next time I put chilli together.

Is chilli on top of a cinnamon roll just a MT thing? I remember having that during school lunches and at home. I should do that next time I put chilli together.
Big in SD as well. Never heard of it growing up in MN. Folks think of it like its a delicacy here.

They've all but disappeared now, but there used to be actual events called poor folks suppers, sometimes held by a fire department of vfw as a fundraiser. The meal itself was often called the same. In the strictest sense, it was just pintos and cornbread. The beans were usually seasoned with a ham bone and the cornbread was usually made in a cast iron skillet. It wouldn't be uncommon to have slaw and/or chow-chow with the beans.

As a kid I can remember dreading that big pot of beans cooking down, because it meant we were eating on that for most of the week. The cornbread was the thing that always made it tolerable to me. Some broken up in the bowl with the beans spooned over, and a piece on the side with plenty of butter. Never felt like poor folks with that second slice of cornbread.

Tonight, we're definitely better off than the people that ate beans because they didn't have anything else. The beans are seasoned with a ham bone from an antelope ham I cured for Thanksgiving. No chow-chow but I had an onion that needed to be used so I diced it up and put it on top of my bowl. And you better believe I'm going back for an extra piece of cornbread. View attachment 304751
I grew up eating this exact thing almost every month. Didn't know it was called that and never felt poor. Just got tired of the beans and we were only allowed one slice of cornbread! If we were lucky we would have butter and honey on it. Delicious! Man were you living the high life with 2 slices! 👍🏼

I was so poor when I was growing up my brothers and me would take turns running outside to bark at cars because we couldn’t afford a dog. We ate beans and taters, Biscuits and gravy, Garden stuff and a lot of squirrel, deer, rabbits and anything else in season. I guess it grew on me because I still eat it today, still bark at cars too… View attachment 305875View attachment 305876
That’s pretty funny! Do you chase parked cars too? 😂

They've all but disappeared now, but there used to be actual events called poor folks suppers, sometimes held by a fire department of vfw as a fundraiser. The meal itself was often called the same. In the strictest sense, it was just pintos and cornbread. The beans were usually seasoned with a ham bone and the cornbread was usually made in a cast iron skillet. It wouldn't be uncommon to have slaw and/or chow-chow with the beans.

As a kid I can remember dreading that big pot of beans cooking down, because it meant we were eating on that for most of the week. The cornbread was the thing that always made it tolerable to me. Some broken up in the bowl with the beans spooned over, and a piece on the side with plenty of butter. Never felt like poor folks with that second slice of cornbread.

Tonight, we're definitely better off than the people that ate beans because they didn't have anything else. The beans are seasoned with a ham bone from an antelope ham I cured for Thanksgiving. No chow-chow but I had an onion that needed to be used so I diced it up and put it on top of my bowl. And you better believe I'm going back for an extra piece of cornbread. View attachment 304751
I eat beans with onions around here a lot but usually has fresh green chile and grated cheese also. Usually cooked with a ham hock or bacon and bacon grease and fresh garlic. And the cornbread has to be sweet, either sugar or honey or both in the mix.

Last edited:
A meal of pinto beans, cornbread, fried potatoes, and mustard greens was a staple in my house growing up.

Back