Poor folks supper

Have you ever heard the term poor folks supper?

• Yes

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters
I think a lot of people that dislike onions eat the wrong ones, and/or cook them incorrectly. mtmuley
Probably so. I'll eat onions just about any way they come though. Vidalia would've definitely been better here. Yellows seem to last a lot better though so I usually have one around.

Never heard that term, but I just got home from working out in the snow all day, and it sounds fantastic!

My mom did make this occasionally when we were kids but she just called it beans and cornbread.
Not every time it snowed, but I remember us having this in the snow several times as a kid. The other snow meal was chicken and dumplings. And of course, since we're in the south, milk sammiches.

Not every time it snowed, but I remember us having this in the snow several times as a kid. The other snow meal was chicken and dumplings. And of course, since we're in the south, milk sammiches.
Geez Louise. I’ve heard of all kinds of sammies but not that one. What is a milk sammich, for those of us less cultured folks around here? This is like that pig cake @Wildabeest had to explain to me. 😂

Interesting meal, never heard of it being called that. I make a mean ham n bean soup and damn good cornbread though. But I keep a large stash of dry pinto beans in the shtf fan supply, along with rice and flour. Cornmeal sounds like a nice addition to the stash. Id assume you want butter or honey with cornbread, or its definitely being eaten with beans for me.

Last edited:
" Big Two- Hearted River" Nick Adam's special was an onion sandwich. I use to make these as a kid when I went fishing.

Oh yeah, my Mom liked cheese and onion sandwiches and that was before Walla Walla Sweets or Vidalia were around.

Ham and beans with cornbread was served at our house on a regular basis. Sometimes the ham only consisted of the bone. I still make it myself about once per month.

The beans were always black-eyed or iron and clay or something like that at our house, but I suspect that was preference from my mom and dad. Also, I never once heard of anyone I knew eating cornbread and milk, but my wife says its an ubiquitous southern thing. I grew up in the deeeeeep ag south, and was middle class.

Geez Louise. I’ve heard of all kinds of sammies but not that one. What is a milk sammich, for those of us less cultured folks around here? This is like that pig cake @Wildabeest had to explain to me. 😂
Yes please explain milk sammich too. Thats a new one.
A milk sammich is a mythical food. At even the slightest hint of snow, everyone around here flocks to the grocery store and cleans them out of milk, bread, and eggs. So over time, people started poking fun at this tradition by just saying that we eat milk sammiches when it snows.

The beans were always black-eyed or iron and clay or something like that at our house, but I suspect that was preference from my mom and dad. Also, I never once heard of anyone I knew eating cornbread and milk, but my wife says its an ubiquitous southern thing. I grew up in the deeeeeep ag south, and was middle class.
Cornbread and buttermilk for the old timers

Back