Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Please Teach me a thing or 2 about scouting

In Northern Utah, we've already received snow twice above about 7500 feet, so I wouldn't be surprised if the areas you've been talking about over 10,000 have had snows already. Be careful.

Appreciate the heads up and the concern! I was up there last weekend and there was sparse snow in the woods and near some rocks. Temperatures dropped low enough for ice to form on water bottles. Made for a cold night of sleeping for my buddy, but I was snug in my down bag and 20+ year old homemade fleece liner....thanks mom

I've seen and killed elk at 11000-12000 feet during third season with 20" of snow. I rarely find such a thing as elk are too high, as pressure pushes these animals to sanctuary which is where most two legged hunters are scared to go. Elk can travel 20-30 miles overnight, so keep in mind they may be in one canyon one day and gone the next. In early season, high altitude with black timber (if the area has it) would be my starting point

I've seen and killed elk at 11000-12000 feet during third season with 20" of snow. I rarely find such a thing as elk are too high, as pressure pushes these animals to sanctuary which is where most two legged hunters are scared to go. Elk can travel 20-30 miles overnight, so keep in mind they may be in one canyon one day and gone the next. In early season, high altitude with black timber (if the area has it) would be my starting point

Black timber? I'm thinking you mean deep thick Ponderosa and Lodgepole pine...

He meant dark timber. It means the trees are so close together the sunlight can't get in. It's pretty much the only kind of hunting I do. I look for small benches in dark timber. Even better if feed and water are near by. It's where you'll find mature bulls resting alone after the rut.

Appreciate the heads up and the concern! I was up there last weekend and there was sparse snow in the woods and near some rocks. Temperatures dropped low enough for ice to form on water bottles. Made for a cold night of sleeping for my buddy, but I was snug in my down bag and 20+ year old homemade fleece liner....thanks mom

You're welcome child.... As long as you're prepared you should be fine. Sounds like you were. Good luck.

He meant dark timber. It means the trees are so close together the sunlight can't get in. It's pretty much the only kind of hunting I do. I look for small benches in dark timber. Even better if feed and water are near by. It's where you'll find mature bulls resting alone after the rut.
You are correct ElkStalker! That is exactly what I am talking about! And if it isn't the first 30 minutes or so of sun up or sun set, that is where the elk are going to be!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back