Phelps or Rocky Mountain elk calls?

I haven't tried the Phelps calls, but I have tried just about everything else and Im very impressed with the rocky mountain calls. They have a great tone.

I can't speak to Phelps, but I did just pick up some stuff from Rocky Mountain and am impressed on the improvement over the Primos stuff I had before. I recently listened to a podcast with owner of Phelps where he was talking about their bugle tube and compared that to the podcast with Big Fin and Rocky Jacobson, there is a very big difference between the amount of thought and engineering that is going into their bugle tubes. Until recently Phelps was just playing with a plastic baseball bat.

Bought some of the new Amp frame diaphragm calls from Phelps - a couple didn't work for me, but the orange and bright green are as good as any call I have used in the past, possibly better. So far I have had mixed feedback from the wife and kids, as I practice in my office :cool:, Hoping to get good responses from the wapiti next week when I backpack into some high country for 6 days.

Phelps didn't work for me. Tried their Amp calls (white and grey) and they were to big for me. Rocky Mountain calls fit me perfectly (small-medium). The trio pack along with the All Star is all one would need I'm sure. I did have their mouth cow call as well, but my 2 year old got a hold of it and chewed the reed up ha ha.

Phelps didn't work for me. Tried their Amp calls (white and grey) and they were to big for me. Rocky Mountain calls fit me perfectly (small-medium). The trio pack along with the All Star is all one would need I'm sure. I did have their mouth cow call as well, but my 2 year old got a hold of it and chewed the reed up ha ha.

I had the same issue with the white and grey

The Phelps navy blue (The Beast) works well for me. Probably the easiest reed call I've used. Produces nice soft tones but can really scream if you want it to.

Just to add to this my buddy has the Chuckler tube by Elknut. Inside the tube there are ribs. Same person blowing a bugle there is a noticeable difference in how they sound. I like the sound of the Chukler better to be honest, but no complaints with the bugle tube from RM.

I have been hunting elk since 2011 and hunting everything else for 20+ years, including turkeys with a mouth call. I have rocky and phelps mouth calls. Just like turkey calls, some I can get to sound good and some are harder or I just can't get good tones. Phelps seem a little easier to use. The green one haha by phelps (can't remember the name) and yellow by rocky are the easiest for me. I am new to elk and I sit outside (or wife will kill me) and practice multiple days a week for 30 to 60 minutes. Watching elknut how to videos. Chuckle and grunts are hardest and I just sound like a monkey

I really like the Rocky Mountain calls, use the mellow yellow and mistress probably the most. The seem to fit my mouth better than some of the other calls I have used.

I've used them both. Phelps were easier to blow but not as durable. RMC taste terrible but seem to hold up to a full year of abuse.

Either is going to be leaps and bounds over the Primos or other brands found in Cabelas or the like. I've been using Phelps for a couple years now and really like the new Amps. I have had Rocky Mountain calls in the past but what I had didn't work as great for me but were still good calls.

As a side note, I called in a buddy of mine last weekend from the bottom of a canyon with the grey amp. Knew it was him by his bugles and kept him coming on a string. Even played the wind and barked at him! He was convinced it was a bull so theres that if its worth anything! :)

As a side note, I called in a buddy of mine last weekend from the bottom of a canyon with the grey amp. Knew it was him by his bugles and kept him coming on a string. Even played the wind and barked at him! He was convinced it was a bull so theres that if its worth anything! :)

Toooo funny!........unless it happened to me.......or somebody got buck fever and shot at some random movement in the brush.

It doesn't matter. Called in plenty of bulls with the H-word even, dare I said it, the hoochie-mama. I'm not calling any more elk in with Rocky Mountain products or Phelps products than with the cheap generic bugles and cow calls. It simply doesn't matter, save your money.

Sometimes you hear bugles that you swear are too generic sounding, "it's gotta be another hunter." Out pops a bull.

Back