Paying It Forward

Fatrack

Found a canyon with a couple bugling bulls this past weekend and the thought of "paying it forward" just keeps entering my mind.

Anyone out there with a general OTC, MT Elk Tag that is well practiced with a bow, but has never shot an elk and doesn't have a plan for opening weekend? Must be able to do a backpack style hunt. PM's are cool.

Here's one from there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-0TN8ylVo&feature=youtu.be

Nice gesture. I'm sure you will find somebody who would go hunt that bull. Look forward to hearing the rest of the story.

Incredibly generous offer on a great looking bull. I'd love to take you up on that offer, but with harvest I can never get over to hunt Montana until November. Harvest and most of the hunting seasons conflict, always been the worst part about farming.

That is way cool of you. Wish I had the time to do the same for fellow hunters out in my area. Hopefully you can get a lucky youth or first time hunter on that bull.

Damn! I've been chasing elk for years, but still have yet to hang my tag on anything other than a single Cow. Seems like I always hunt with guys who don't know how to call, so while I've been on a few succesful hunts I've never actaully been the one to pull the trigger.

But I have been scouting all summer and eo have a plan for opening weekend. Not sure how it will pan out, but I'm about to give it hell!! Might be my only trip in there though as all my hunting partners thinking I'm crazy for going in so deep.

I'm thinking the first legal bull to cross my path will be looking pretty good!

couple prospects but nothing confirmed yet.

Frenchy: dont worry about the calling, let the elk do that for ya. Keep the wind and you'll be fine...good luck! Jason never knew how to call anyways ;-)

After helping out on a couple hunts recently, I've found that I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping/watching other people succeed in hunting. Being a part of it, helping out and just being there is cool. So many peopole are so secretive and want to keep it all to themselves, I get it though, I've been burned before. But, seeing the look on a newbie's face after success and creating memories of a lifetime are pretty powerful moments.

Will be packing in on Friday evening, up around 4am listening for bugles and getting into position for first light.

Awesome. I'm taking a first time hunter out in two weeks and letting him shoot a deer under my permit. In CA we have a program called SHARE which is our "block management", except you have to draw for the permit for the land (tags are OTC). Anyway, because I drew I am allowed to bring another hunter but we may only take one deer so I'm giving it up to a newbie.

Fatrack - you are discovering one of the keys to being happy. Well done man, love to see examples of our wonderful heritage and amazing American spirit live strong in others!
(helps restore faith there are great folks around)

As a first time elk hunter this year, I commend you Fatrack for what you are doing. That is awesome.

ME! PICK ME!!
Not even sure how to respond to such a generous offer!
I have a tag but won't be through Bozeman area until the 14th.
PM sent...

Wow...that's a nice bull, but the true value of what you are doing is in the learning experience for whoever gets to go. I had someone take me on a rifle elk hunt years ago and that experience taught me so much more than any book ever could. I'm by no means a master elk hunter because of it but it helped me change from a hiker with a pack and rifle to someone who can actually find elk sometimes. Now, years later, I'll be applying the lessons I learned on that trip to archery season as I head out for my first serious attempt with a bow. I hope whoever gets to go gets as much out of this trip as I did from mine. Please keep us updated on how it turns out.

Kyle, all I can say is that I've been in your shoes and helping another guy out is as gratifying as killing one yourself.......plus good things happen to people who make good things happen for others. I actually was 30 seconds from sticking an arrow in a 340" bull this weekend only to have another hunter from Boston who had no clue what he was doing walk in on me and blow the bull out. Yep, I was as frustrated as a guy can be.....but as we were sitting there talking, I caught a 6 point coming through the trees and said, "would you shoot that bull if I could put him in your lap"??? He said yes and I set him up and dropped back 50 yards to call. Brought him in like a puppy on a leash and he got a 15 yard broadside shot. Was really neat to watch.

Still pissed at him though for screwing up my elk:)LOL

couple prospects but nothing confirmed yet.

Frenchy: dont worry about the calling, let the elk do that for ya. Keep the wind and you'll be fine...good luck! Jason never knew how to call anyways ;-)

After helping out on a couple hunts recently, I've found that I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping/watching other people succeed in hunting. Being a part of it, helping out and just being there is cool. So many peopole are so secretive and want to keep it all to themselves, I get it though, I've been burned before. But, seeing the look on a newbie's face after success and creating memories of a lifetime are pretty powerful moments.

Will be packing in on Friday evening, up around 4am listening for bugles and getting into position for first light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back