PEAX Equipment

Patterning Elk

A bull? Depending on what part of October, probably not great. Public Land assuming.

Yes a public land bull, you see I've seen bulls (elk in general) in the area while deer hunting in the later half of October the past few seasons but I don't have enough points to draw the late season elk tag but probably have enough to draw an archery tag next year. When I've seen them there's been snow on the surrounding peaks but not a ton in the immediate area, and I don't know if the snow pushed them down or if they're in the area the majority of the season.

Last edited:
If you're talking less than a foot of snow then chances are they are not far from that area in Sept. if they survive! Should be able to Glass them up or get them respond to a Location Bugle if in thicker timber in Sept! Being public land it's a crap shoot that they are not pushed around a bit! Worth a chance though! If not there you'll most likely find other bulls so I'd say it's worth serious consideration! Keep moving if not there, you'll find elk!

ElkNut/Paul

In my experience I have found them in the same areas .I am always amazed on just how much snow it takes to push a big bull down to lower country.
Here in Utah anyway

Back