Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

October fly patterns for rivers near Dubois

undercover

I will be making my first trip to western Wyoming October 2024. Two weeks with hopefully an antelope tag in area XX. looks like Wind River flows through Dubois which my neighbor fished many years ago one summer. Many others as well in the greater Jackson area. What patterns is recommended for mid to late fall? I’m a steelhead guy in Michigan so I understand match the hatch. Stones and Caddis? I’m sure your bugs are a bit different than our bugs. Thanks in advance.

I will be making my first trip to western Wyoming October 2024. Two weeks with hopefully an antelope tag in area XX. looks like Wind River flows through Dubois which my neighbor fished many years ago one summer. Many others as well in the greater Jackson area. What patterns is recommended for mid to late fall? I’m a steelhead guy in Michigan so I understand match the hatch. Stones and Caddis? I’m sure your bugs are a bit different than our bugs. Thanks in advance.
Never fished there. BWO is the predominant Fall western hatch in October. Caddis are done. Most fishing is subsurface with nymphs...chironomid, mayfly, stone fly.
October is streamer fishing, Browns are staging and aggressive.

Never fished there. BWO is the predominant Fall western hatch in October. Caddis are done. Most fishing is subsurface with nymphs...chironomid, mayfly, stone fly.
October is streamer fishing, Browns are staging and aggressive.
He is correct. That being said, that is a stingy section of river, IMO. If it's running high, try San Juan worms. I remember a lot of areas with foam, so terrestrials. Also, there are areas with grass, so bring the scuds.

It's insanely beautiful, so charge the phone, that will have no reception there.

You can’t go wrong nymphing, swinging, or stripping various colors of buggers. In the fall if I’m searching for fish and don’t know exactly what they’re eating I’ll often just nymph a bugger and small soft hackle pheasant tail below it.

I use lots of stones for steelies, mostly black some brown. I should look before I ask but is this region known for the golden stone fly?

Streamers! Try the Wiggins Fork, watch out for bears too.

6ECEEB0A-9437-4B4A-81DB-D25438B30797.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back