Caribou Gear

Palmer, Alaska "wind zone"

Dave N

With all the Alaska guys on here it seems like as good a place as any to ask about the wind zone around Palmer. The wife and I have been researching and searching for a vacation/retirement home in the Matsu Valley area and I've seen several properties that state they are out of the "wind zone". What's up with this? I can picture wind coming down the valley towards Palmer from the Chickaloon direction, not sure if this would be it or not. Just how bad does it get?

Thanks!

With all the Alaska guys on here it seems like as good a place as any to ask about the wind zone around Palmer. The wife and I have been researching and searching for a vacation/retirement home in the Matsu Valley area and I've seen several properties that state they are out of the "wind zone". What's up with this? I can picture wind coming down the valley towards Palmer from the Chickaloon direction, not sure if this would be it or not. Just how bad does it get?

Thanks!

Palmer, the WY of AK. it's mostly Palmer's geographic location between two mountain ranges. It's just a windy place. I don't think its a huge ordeal until you get those days were wind kicks up silt off the Knik River. There are windy days in Anchorage where I look towards Palmer and it just doesn't look too fun up that way.

If I didn't have to work in Anchorage I'd live in Palmer without hesitation.

You should eat the Chinese food at the Carrs deli in Palmer before you make that statement. The Carrs deli in Las Anchorage is Way,way,way better.

The WY of AK. Guess that would describe it! Thanks, kind of what I figured. Thinking that the worst part would be the blowing snow from any extra wind like that. Might make it harder to plow my way out. We're headed back up end of next May to look around some more and try some fishing. I've spotted a few prospects online, but it's hard to check out houses from 3500 miles away! Had a great one by Willow that sold before our last trip up.

Think I'll skip the Chinese food at the deli...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back