Pair of Wyoming birds

BuzzH

I'll admit right off, I'm not much of a turkey hunter, and while I threaten every year to actually go, I usually don't make it.

Had an invite from a friend that wanted to try some public land he'd found as it looked like there could be turkeys there. So, after having our original plans change, we finally made it out this weekend.

Right away on Saturday morning, we found a group of 10 birds with 8 of them being bearded chaps. We decided to close the distance and set up to call them in. On the way there, we popped over a little ridge and there was a jake and a hen about 50 yards away. I quickly decided one bird in the hand was better than nothing and rolled him.

Bird 1:

0514161442.jpg

We decided to head back to the truck to regroup and have lunch. As we were finishing up lunch, we heard a turkey gobble. I soon spotted a strutter and a hen on a pine ridge about 1/2 mile a way. I took off and after wading a "creek", I worked my way up to where the 2 birds were. I slowly peeked over the lip of the ridge and immediately see a red/white/blue head sticking up over the sage at 15 yards. I promptly swatted him with a load of 6 shot. What I didn't know, is right before I got to the ridge, 5 jakes ran down and were harassing the Tom. I still thought there was only 2 birds there, so didn't hesitate. I ended up with one of the jakes, and the remaining turkeys, were actually closer to me. After I shot they sort of just ambled off with the strutter being the last one in line. If I would have had that third tag, which I didn't get, I would have also been able to fill it with the Tom.

I was really, really happy to just get into some birds and considering how late it is in the year, in an area we have never hunted, it went well. May have to make this thing a yearly deal...just a lot of fun.

Bird 2:

05141616571.jpg

My buddies son, helping with the pack out:

05141617021.jpg

I also made it out to Wyoming for turkey season. I have shot many Easterns here in Iowa but never went West for a Merriam so I thought this would be a good year. I hunted the last week of April and needless to say the weather sucked, but that is what I have learned to expect during Spring turkey season. I hunted a couple different ranches and did get a Tom on the second day. Those Merriams have much better color than the birds here in Iowa so I do plan to go back to Wyoming next year.

(Inadvertent) Ninja style....way to go!

I applaud your pragmatic approach to taking birds. Turkeys are so smart and stupid all rolled into one feathery puffball that counting on them to do the expected is oftentimes quite foolish. Get em while you can.

Nice birds. Turkey hunting is always fun.

Be very careful Buzz, that Spring Turkey hunting can get addicting. It's really fun to call them into a blind situation. I love bowhunting them for that reason. Once inside the 30 yrds of when you would shoot with a shot gun, your just getting started with the bow. A lot more added fun. Congrats on the Turkey dinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back