Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Packing Out the Rack?

fredbear

Hey guys, me and my brother in law both got bulls this archery season so we've had two oppurtunities to pack out elk. They both went pretty smooth except the rack, we both have big packs, he has the big Sitka and I have the Badlands 4500. When I carried a load of meat from his bull it worked great, but we had some trouble with getting his rack on his Sitka pack. The same thing with my bull, his pack worked great for meat and putting the rack on my badlands was a little cumbersome. The main issue is that the head seems to stick out away from your back making it feel alot heavier. I carry the Badlands 4500 all the time and want to be able to pack the rack out right away so a seperate frame pack isn't an option. Does anyone have any tips on carring a rack on a fully enclosed pack like the badlands 4500 or the big Sitka?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2011 09 18_1174.jpg
    2011 09 18_1174.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 472
  • 2011 09 18_1176.jpg
    2011 09 18_1176.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 470
I have seen people tie a tree branch from one antler to another. Then have the rack a little higher up on the pack. The branch then will be pressed against the backpack and then you won't have to be using your hands to keep the rack from swinging forward. Now I just need to shoot a bull this season so I can do it.

Only option I've ever seen that would have helped you would have been to fully cape the head and saw off the horns with only a skull cap. I packed my Dad's Moose head and cape much like you have yours on your pack, I didn't feel comfortable caping it as I have never caped a Moose to be honest. With an elk I'd have caped it, but I've caped quite a few of those.

I agree with Goldtip on the caping. The key is to get some practice before you cape something you want to have mounte. I have caped a few deer and elk that I just did a Euro mount with. You could also let your taxidermist know you would like to pactice on animals he takes in for Euro mounts or plaque mounts. With a little practice you could save yourself a lot of packing.

That being said I have also used a branch to keep the antlers in a proper position when packing. Those two tips should make your next pack much easier.

Keeping the load up and down and close to your back is your friend, way back out like that is painful no matter what you are packing.

Cape it! Night and day difference on packing it out.

Even if you don't bring a saw and cut the skull plate out, just trimming the excess meat off the skull and cutting the tongue out saves a few pounds and it isn't near as tricky to balance it all out if the skull is separate from the cape.

When you cape it though, are you still carrying the cape in your pack? So effectively you're carrying almost the same weight (minus tongue and lower jaw, etc.) but carrying in an easier fashion? The Sitka Bivy 45 SUCKED for carrying the rack out and the straps damn near cut my arms off, so any improvement would help greatly.

When you cape it though, are you still carrying the cape in your pack? So effectively you're carrying almost the same weight (minus tongue and lower jaw, etc.) but carrying in an easier fashion? The Sitka Bivy 45 SUCKED for carrying the rack out and the straps damn near cut my arms off, so any improvement would help greatly.

Yes and Yes to the questions.

Just no good way to get everything balanced when it is all together. It's not really the weight that causes the problem for me, it is getting it all balanced.

My buddy weighed everything on a scale when he got it back to his house and the cape weighed 45lbs and the skull and antlers weighed 35lbs with the tongue and excess meat cut off so that would be 80lbs total. Not a super light load by any means but pretty similar to a boned out hindquarter.

Last edited:
You're right you still pack out the cape, but its a heck of a lot easier to stuff it inside the pack next to your back and hang the rack on the top.

The only solution to your pack NOT sucking... is to buy a Mystry Ranch. :D

Hahaha...I'm with you on that one Bambi for sure! I'm gonna be doing the Mystery Ranch one of these days for sure.

Npaden & Bambi - great input. I really appreciate. Myself and Fred Bear will be deadly from here on out and as long as we practice the caping bit we'll be in WAY better shape.

I've packed out heads before,not sure there is a "good" way.Anymore,unless it is a super big bull I get rid of all that extra weight,.....still hunting for that super big bull:)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back