packing a bear hide

hedjam

I will be hunting in the Sawtooth area of Idaho for 3 weeks starting the 16th. I will be based out of Stanley with the primary objective being a wolf. Due to the cheap prices I will also buy a Mt. Lion and a bear tag. I would only take a bear if it was a real prize. I am 66 y/o and can hike all day w/ a pack. I will be using a 3500 cu. inch internal frame pack and probably only carrying about 20 lbs. including my rifle. I could make several trips to pack out the meat due to the cool weather but have no idea how heavy a green/wet bearskin would be. I rarely get farther than 7 miles from the trailhead but this is steep rugged country and I would pass rather than wreck my back or knees. Can anyone guesstimate the weight of a hide from a bear weighing 300 lbs. +. With all the great bears I have seen on this site I hope to get a realistic Idea.

Thanks, Mike R.

50-60lbs with the head still in. Weighed quite a few of them. Skin it thin and dont bring out a bunch of fat a meat and its managable. If its too heavy you can cape out the head and lose 15 20lbs

/
I will be hunting in the Sawtooth area of Idaho for 3 weeks starting the 16th. I will be based out of Stanley with the primary objective being a wolf. Due to the cheap prices I will also buy a Mt. Lion and a bear tag. I would only take a bear if it was a real prize. I am 66 y/o and can hike all day w/ a pack. I will be using a 3500 cu. inch internal frame pack and probably only carrying about 20 lbs. including my rifle. I could make several trips to pack out the meat due to the cool weather but have no idea how heavy a green/wet bearskin would be. I rarely get farther than 7 miles from the trailhead but this is steep rugged country and I would pass rather than wreck my back or knees. Can anyone guesstimate the weight of a hide from a bear weighing 300 lbs. +. With all the great bears I have seen on this site I hope to get a realistic Idea.

Thanks, Mike R.

Thanks Maginnis, that is great news. If time/light permits I will definitly cape out the skull. I don't mind making several trips but I am a delicate flower with big loads. Last year I saw 2 really nice bears but had no tag, now I just have to find one. Thanks again for the quick response. If anyone else has suggestions let me know.

Mike R.

Dustinf, I would surely take a 5 1/2' er. Thanks for the reality check. I will arrive in Stanley in 1 week I can hardly stand the wait. Who knows maybe I'll get really lucky and get all 3 toothy critters, I would be happy with any of them.

Mike r.

My largest bear was 80" nose to tail. Head-in with quite a bit of fat (didn't wanna cut the hide) it weighed 76 lbs. It was pretty miserable to take out, but then again I also had one of those crappy Badlands packs at the time!

My first bear hunt was with hounds in the North Maine woods. I ended up killing a 400 pound bruin. I remember packing my bear hide out and was amazed at how heavy it was. I never weighed it but it kicked my butt. Those boggs were brutal and that heavy pack made every step seem like I was lifting Rosie O'donnell. Best of luck on your hunt and if successful one step at a time!

big28hunter, I wonder how much rosie's hide would weigh, and how would you mount it. On second thought who would want to mount it?

Mike r.

I shot a brute 6 foot 8 inch bear this spring. His hide with head and paws in was 82 lbs. My buddy shot a 5 foot 7 inch bear this fall, with the head and paws he went 54 pounds. Both of these were North Idaho bears, hope that helps you.

Nbell, I wouldn't pass on either of those. It is pretty cold in the Sawtooth already I wonder when the bears den up. I was almost 2 weeks earlier last year and didn't see snow until the last 2 days. This year I will bring my snowshoes. I have come to really like this region and enjoy seeing it at different times. Now I just have to find something to shoot, snow will hopefully drive the elk down and the wolves should follow.

Mike r.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back