Caribou Gear

packing a bear hide

hedjam

I will be hunting in the Sawtooth area of Idaho for 3 weeks starting the 16th. I will be based out of Stanley with the primary objective being a wolf. Due to the cheap prices I will also buy a Mt. Lion and a bear tag. I would only take a bear if it was a real prize. I am 66 y/o and can hike all day w/ a pack. I will be using a 3500 cu. inch internal frame pack and probably only carrying about 20 lbs. including my rifle. I could make several trips to pack out the meat due to the cool weather but have no idea how heavy a green/wet bearskin would be. I rarely get farther than 7 miles from the trailhead but this is steep rugged country and I would pass rather than wreck my back or knees. Can anyone guesstimate the weight of a hide from a bear weighing 300 lbs. +. With all the great bears I have seen on this site I hope to get a realistic Idea.

Thanks, Mike R.

50-60lbs with the head still in. Weighed quite a few of them. Skin it thin and dont bring out a bunch of fat a meat and its managable. If its too heavy you can cape out the head and lose 15 20lbs

/
I will be hunting in the Sawtooth area of Idaho for 3 weeks starting the 16th. I will be based out of Stanley with the primary objective being a wolf. Due to the cheap prices I will also buy a Mt. Lion and a bear tag. I would only take a bear if it was a real prize. I am 66 y/o and can hike all day w/ a pack. I will be using a 3500 cu. inch internal frame pack and probably only carrying about 20 lbs. including my rifle. I could make several trips to pack out the meat due to the cool weather but have no idea how heavy a green/wet bearskin would be. I rarely get farther than 7 miles from the trailhead but this is steep rugged country and I would pass rather than wreck my back or knees. Can anyone guesstimate the weight of a hide from a bear weighing 300 lbs. +. With all the great bears I have seen on this site I hope to get a realistic Idea.

Thanks, Mike R.

Thanks Maginnis, that is great news. If time/light permits I will definitly cape out the skull. I don't mind making several trips but I am a delicate flower with big loads. Last year I saw 2 really nice bears but had no tag, now I just have to find one. Thanks again for the quick response. If anyone else has suggestions let me know.

Mike R.

Dustinf, I would surely take a 5 1/2' er. Thanks for the reality check. I will arrive in Stanley in 1 week I can hardly stand the wait. Who knows maybe I'll get really lucky and get all 3 toothy critters, I would be happy with any of them.

Mike r.

My largest bear was 80" nose to tail. Head-in with quite a bit of fat (didn't wanna cut the hide) it weighed 76 lbs. It was pretty miserable to take out, but then again I also had one of those crappy Badlands packs at the time!

My first bear hunt was with hounds in the North Maine woods. I ended up killing a 400 pound bruin. I remember packing my bear hide out and was amazed at how heavy it was. I never weighed it but it kicked my butt. Those boggs were brutal and that heavy pack made every step seem like I was lifting Rosie O'donnell. Best of luck on your hunt and if successful one step at a time!

big28hunter, I wonder how much rosie's hide would weigh, and how would you mount it. On second thought who would want to mount it?

Mike r.

I shot a brute 6 foot 8 inch bear this spring. His hide with head and paws in was 82 lbs. My buddy shot a 5 foot 7 inch bear this fall, with the head and paws he went 54 pounds. Both of these were North Idaho bears, hope that helps you.

Nbell, I wouldn't pass on either of those. It is pretty cold in the Sawtooth already I wonder when the bears den up. I was almost 2 weeks earlier last year and didn't see snow until the last 2 days. This year I will bring my snowshoes. I have come to really like this region and enjoy seeing it at different times. Now I just have to find something to shoot, snow will hopefully drive the elk down and the wolves should follow.

Mike r.

Back