Do you prefer the Oxford Comma

• Yes

Votes: 56 68.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • What's an Oxford Comma?

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
I quit using it a few years back once I discovered it was not required. Looks "neater". To be honest, I didn't know what it was called.

Soooo, what's everyone's favorite style manual? I usually reach for Chicago.

Turkey season starts soon.

We probably could reduce overall comma use in the English language by 20% and not sacrifice much in the way of clarity/readability.
Because people write so poorly to being with...agree, it's like blaze orange laws.

Speaking as a professional attorney, the Oxford comma can make a big difference in technical outcomes so folks who care about specificity need to be purposeful with its use/non-use.
He's right.

The lack of an Oxford Comma after "shipment" in the sentence below cost $5,000,000; and all because somebody said the Oxford comma was unnecessary and slowed down the reader 😂

“The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

He's right.

The lack of an Oxford Comma after "shipment" in the sentence below cost $5,000,000; and all because somebody said the Oxford comma was unnecessary and slowed down the reader 😂

“The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

Seems like someone should have raised the "no crying over spilled milk" defense.

Speaking as a professional attorney, the Oxford comma can make a big difference in technical outcomes so folks who care about specificity need to be purposeful with its use/non-use.
I thought you were a biochemist now? Anyway, when in technical mode, always add commas, in Excel formulae, when in doubt, always add parentheses.

BTW worked in organic chemistry research for 3 years and loved it. Not many jobs in MT, ID, WY, NM at the time or might have stuck with it.

Soooo, what's everyone's favorite style manual? I usually reach for Chicago.

Turkey season starts soon.

Chicago has the Chicago typewriters, it might be healthier to be on their side.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brauny35
Back