Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Over The Counter License OTC

Camo123

I know that Colorado has OTC elk license but are there any other states I can hunt with OTC? I want to hunt elk and I have applied in New Mexico but no success. I love to be outdoors and want see if I have any other options. I can't afford to go with a big time outfitter, at least not at this time, but I love to hunt elk and mule deer. What are my options?

Montana and Utah will have spike/any bull limited quota. I would think MT would be more enjoyable.

Montana currently has over 1,000 elk/deer combination licenses that you can buy over the counter. It gives you deer and elk tags for all general units, which is most of the state for deer and the western half of the state for elk.

It provides you the six weeks of archery season, which it sounds like you are a rifle hunter. It them allows you the five weeks of rifle season from the last Saturday in October to the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

It also provides an upland bird and fishing license, in the event you want to do any of those things while you are here. A lot to do with that combo license, if you have the time and inclination.

Advice

I am from down south and I have never hunted in Montana. What area should I look into? Montana is a big state and I would rather stay in the south. Also what season should I look at? Should I plan for camping out of my truck or a tent? Any issues with wildlife such as bears or wolves? When does the weather get tough in Montana and would I have any problems during this hunt? I welcome all suggestions. Anyone else planning on a OTC hunt in Montana this Fall?

Az does have OTC elk tags but they are depredation type hunts to get rid of "invasive" elk that are in units that elk dont normally inhabit. Success rate is EXTREMELY low on those. We do have OTC archery deer tags though, and theres usually some left over rifle tags after the draw has done its thing. Those are usually down south coues tags.

Back