Caribou Gear Tarp

Outstanding Succes for a New Hunter

Gerald Martin

Guys, I thought you might be interested in hearing about the success of a budding young hunter.

Shadrach(Shad)Yoder is my friend Israel Yoders oldest son. At ten years old and weighing in at 63 pounds, Shad might not be considered by many to be a serious hunter. His success this year in his first year of bowhunting would suggest otherwise.

Shad is not a newcomer to archery. He has been shooting a bow for several years now. This was the first year that he was able to meet the criterea that his dad Israel had set before he would be allowed to hunt deer. Shad had to be able to pull 40lbs with his Diamond bow and keep 4 out of 5 arrows in the 3" white of a standard paper target at 20 yards. This was also the first year that he met his home state of Michigan's age requirement for youth hunters. Shad met the accuracy requirements with ease and worked hard all summer to meet the draw weight requirements.(This was his dad's requirement. As far as I know it wasn't a state reg.)

Shad completed his hunter safety course on August 23 just in time to head for his grandparents farm in Deleware for the Sept 1 opener. His first set of the season saw a fat doe come past and Shad made the money shot and connected. First deer down! Later that week another doe made the fatal mistake of coming past his stand and recieved a mortal arrow. Two arrows, two deer! The first weekend in October was the start of Michigan's archery season. With two does already under his belt, Shad was primed to prey on the local deer population. A kind neighbor granted Shad access to a woodlot that lay just several hundred yards from Shad's house and Shad and Israel had his ladder stand prepared in a prime location near a field edge.

Over the course of the next month Shad racked up three more antlerless kills. One of the most memorable was done totally solo while his Dad was out hunting another spot. That day Shad went to his treestand by himself, put a perfect shot on a doe, tracked and recovered the deer, (which outweighed him probably 50lbs) and drug her to the field edge. He also passed up numerous small bucks during the course of the month. A quick word about passing up the small bucks. This was a voluntary action on Shad's part. His dad and friends have been passing on any deer smaller than 3 1/2 years old for several years now. Shad chose to follow the same example even though his dad made it clear he could shoot whatever he wanted.

At this point in the season when I talked to Israel on the phone I though Shad was already having a phenomenal year. A quick run through of the numbers of Shad's season this far. Seven shots taken, five does killed. Two of those shots were clean misses, four of those shots were through the heart. He also had a day when he killed four chipmunks in one day. Clearly this kid can shoot. Well as the month of October began winding down, the prerut was heating up. Around the last week of October Shad headed out for his stand for an evening hunt. The deer that came past him was one that many of us would absolutely love to kill and Shad was about to do just that. Unfortunately, at the shot, a branch deflected the arrow, ruining Shad's previous streak of great shots. But on the positive side, the deer was recovered the next forenoon and all the meat was salvaged.

I've included a photo of Shad's awesome southern Michigan buck. The deer grosses right in the low 140's and should have very little deductions.

This buck was taken in an area that experiences very high hunting pressure on the surrounding properties. Shad is not hunting on a huge, managed piece of ground with exclusive access. Their area does have some great genetics, awesome food and habitat, and could be a world class hunting destination if there weren't so many hunters. Very few bucks make it to 3 1/2. But that is a topic for another day.

Congratulations Shadrach Yoder on an awesome buck and an awesome first year of bowhunting. Keep the passion for deer hunting burning in your heart and remember, there probably won't be bucks like this every year.

Part two to follow shortly........

Attachments

• DSC05614.jpg
    DSC05614.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC05617.jpg
    DSC05617.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC05621.jpg
    DSC05621.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 285
Wow !:D What an amazing story. It just goes to show how hard work and determination can get the job done. Well done to the young man and to the father caring enough to teach his son correctly.

I bet he didn't drag that one out on his own.Great first buck and nice to see the young ones get the fever and keep a clear head.

And now for the promised second part of the story....

This part isn't really about Shad, its actually a whole 'nother story but I thought I'd keep it in the same thread.

Israel and I have been friends for over a dozen years now. Our mutual passion for hunting and bowhunting in particular has been instrumental in us keeping a close relationship especially after I moved to Montana from Virginia back in 2002. We don't even see each other every year but we always stay in touch. It seems like we talk on the phone a lot more during the fall. I wonder why?.....

Well it just so happens that business has taken me back to Northern Indiana the past two falls. I have to attend a conference/meeting just 35 miles from where Israel lives. Last year and this year we got to do a little hunting over the weekend. I just returned from my trip this past weekend and wanted to share our adventure.

Now a few of you know that I have a fairly serious hobby of videoing my hunts. In fact I would almost rather film a close friend that make the kill myself.(Almost)

Last year we had a great hunt. There was a lot of snow and the deer were pounding some standing corn that Israel had permission to hunt. He actually bought me an antlerless tag and then filmed me shooting a doe with his bow after we sneaked up on it in the corn. Then I filmed him killing another doe the next morning out of one of his favorite stands.

This year was a bit more difficult. Both hunts took place the first weekend in December after shotgun season and during muzzleloader season. The deer are wired to the extreme and IMO pretty difficult to hunt. There was also no snow so they could find food wherever they wanted. Consequently the deer were very scattered.

With my meeting over by noon on Friday week squeezed in a quick evening hunt. We didn't see a thing. Saturday mornings hunt was cold and windy. We saw three does, but they were 250 yards away. When we climbed out of the tree @ 10:30 we headed into the woods to work on some stands that Israel wanted to hunt during the late season. The last stand we hung @ noon was in a spot tight against a major bedding area. Israel had stayed away from it all year and the amount of sign coming out of the briars and blowdowns promised that this was a great spot.

We headed back for lunch and then went to the taxidermist to pick up the rack from Shad's buck. The stories took a little longer to tell than we anticipated so we were a little late for our evening hunt. Our plan was to go in bare bones as quietly as possible. I decided not to carry my pack with the spare battery, cleaning tape and all my filming goodies. Some of you folks who video can see where this is headed with that last sentence.:)

A little aside about myself. I went to Michigan with high hopes of capturing some more quality footage for my DVDs. Like a lot of folks, I start a hunt really pumped up and excited. When the going gets tough, I start to doubt a bit and unfortunately that sometimes leads to being lax in the preperation for each hunt. That little gremlin in my ear says what's the use.... You probably won't need this anyway, you haven't had an opportunity for several days. That's basically what happened that evening. I always, always carry my cleaning tape, an extra battery, and another tape with me each filming session. That's at a bare minimum. Usually I have more. Well, the lack of action, cold weather, short amount of daylight left, added to my decision to let my pack in the basement. I didn't even check the amount of battery left on the camera. This would come back to bite me later.

Now back to the hunt....

Israel grabbed his bow, I grabbed the camera and we made the short drive to the woods. On the way I discovered another item I'd forgotten. My gloves.... Running a camera with no gloves on in 25 degree weather is not my idea of a good time. Oh well... no time to go back, we headed up the tree.

Once safetly ensconced in our tree I powered up the camera for a short interview. The "heads dirty, use cleaning tape" message flashed in the viewfinder. ARGH!! this doesn't happen often but when it does I've found I've got about a 50% chance of the video turning out. My cleaning tape was back in the house. All I could hope for was the best as we did a short interview.

It wasn't two minutes after the interview that Israel whacks me on the leg. "Deer." I leaned around the tree and saw what I thought was a small buck barely visible through the thick brush. He was alread within 50 yards and couldn't have been very far when we climbed the tree. I was able to get a little footage of him through the brush.

The buck was going nowhere fast. He was just chewing his cudd and every couple minutes he would take a few steps towards us. About two minutes into filming the buck, the camera started flashing "change battery pack" DOUBLE ARGH!!!! I know better but I had just violated the cardinal rule of videography. My spare batteries were back at the house.

To Israel's great chagrin, the battery clicked as I unsnapped it from the camera and put it in my pocket to warm it up. The buck was now within 25 yards but was standing behind a tree and wasn't moving. Thankfully the buck didn't hear the sound.

While all this was taking place Israel was trying to decide if he wanted to shoot the buck. He tries to shoot only 3 1/2 year or older bucks and he wasn't positive this buck would make the cut. The buck was bigger than either of us thought at first glance but it was clear the he wasn't a P&Y qualifier either. Israel made the call that if we could get him on video he would shoot.

Finally, the buck committed to the trail that would take him into the open. I got the battery hooked back up to the camera and started taking video. Finally the buck walked into the open @20yards and stood broadside looking towards a doe that had now appeared about 60 yard away. I zoomed back to wide angle to get Israel's draw. Israel drew and I panned down onto the buck. I zoomed a little tighter on the deer and got ready to whisper for him to take the shot when the unthinkable happened. The camera died. Dead. Completely.

NO!!! I frantically whispered to Israel. " The battery died!" He was still at full draw, the buck was still posing like a statue, as I unclipped the battery once more and then clipped in on again. Relief surged through my body as the camera powered up once more. I double check that I was recording and then whispered, "I got him." THWAP! was the next sound I heard and I panned with the deer as he ran away. The buck made it about 40 yards and then the camera died again.

By warming up the battery I was able to milk enough energy to film the recovery and post shot interview.

This buck was at the end of a short bloodtrail.

Moral of the story? No shortcuts, always be prepared.

I'll try to pull some stills off my video to show the action as it happened.

Attachments

• DSC06340.jpg
    DSC06340.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC06346.jpg
    DSC06346.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 231
Its Incredible that a boy that young can keep his emotions in check better than lots of bow hunters that have been at it for years. To say i'm impressed is an understatment. Congrats to Shad and an unbelieveable year. Hopefully it gets drilled into his head that he probably won't have a year this good again for a long time. And if he does, then he got a special gift that most of us don't get but once every 20 years. :)

Congrats to Shad and to his father as well for instilling the hunting pride and dedication into his son. Looks like a great year for them both.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back