Ouch

My 223 is shooting 77gr RDFs at around 2800fps. It's tempting but I don't know if I trust them to expand reliably on an animal. 6mm ARC is awaiting a stock and brass. I have a lot of 106gr TAP bullets. They're supposed to be a bit tougher than the 108 ELD-M. If they shoot they'll likely take over as a hunting round and paired with my bigger rifles that shoot copper at bigger game.

Sitting on about 12lbs of RL26 and an accidental stockpile of other slow powders for my big guns and some faster powders for 223 etc. Small rifle primers are pretty easy to get though I should snag another sleeve for plinking. I'm sitting pretty good for LR primers though I've reduced my shooting a bit. In previous years, I'd burn this stuff much faster but such is life.

I've thought about switching my 280 Ackley to the 165 TGK. Would save a few grains of powder per round. Luckily I have enough powder that the few grains saved would actually save money.

My 223 is shooting 77gr RDFs at around 2800fps. It's tempting but I don't know if I trust them to expand reliably on an animal. 6mm ARC is awaiting a stock and brass. I have a lot of 106gr TAP bullets. They're supposed to be a bit tougher than the 108 ELD-M. If they shoot they'll likely take over as a hunting round and paired with my bigger rifles that shoot copper at bigger game.

Sitting on about 12lbs of RL26 and an accidental stockpile of other slow powders for my big guns and some faster powders for 223 etc. Small rifle primers are pretty easy to get though I should snag another sleeve for plinking. I'm sitting pretty good for LR primers though I've reduced my shooting a bit. In previous years, I'd burn this stuff much faster but such is life.
I bought some RDF's. To break in a barrel. You on the DTAC train? mtmuley

Haven’t. Noslers are so tough to find that I’ve gone away from them.

Entrance and exit on deer from 77 TMK out of a 17” 22-250. They were started just shy of 3000fps. 280 yards I think is what it was at. Be shooting them in an 18” 22 creedmoor this year
View attachment 309854
View attachment 309855

Edit I guess looking through my pictures that would be an antelope with 223 shooting the 77 grain TMK started at 2800fps. But the deer wife shot this year looked identical from the 22-250
1-8 twist be fast enough?

Good to know. Being that I'm starting from scratch and have choices, think I'll go 1-8.
I wasn’t suggesting a 9 twist I just don’t think you would any problems with an 8 twist

I only have the 6mmARC and I don't think there's enough juice for a 115. I probably would have gone lighter in bullets but Midway had 106TAC overruns for $17/100 so the economics won that decision.
I read all about those bullets also. mtmuley

Some folks are reporting 3400 with h4350 burn rates in the 22 cm with 77 gr pills. Not sure how hard they’re leaning on em though.
I never got the velocities some were getting. I settled around 3330 out of a 22 inch barrel. RL 26

I never got the velocities some were getting. I settled around 3330 out of a 22 inch barrel. RL 26
Rl 26 Might be a touch too slow for powder burn. Almost everyone I see getting those velocities is using 4350/rl16. Not saying that will be the case for you, but just what I’ve seen people report. If you’re shooting lead it probably isn’t worth the work to switch. Though I reserve RL26 for my cartridges where it really shines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back