Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Other Species

robloft

Does anyone get additional species tags once they've drawn their elk tag? Does anyone bird hunt while elk hunting? I'm asking particularly about Montana but I am also curious if anyone does this in other states. If you do this what species and why? Also what state? How successful are you at these other species?

In Oregon for October i have a elk, buck, cougar and bear tag. Deer season is shortest. But I always get a general cougar and bear tag to have in pocket. If I am feeling really spunky I may have a fall turkey tag along with me to. Just depends if our seasons and my time line up.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a big buck on my elk hunt this fall just in case. I am also planning on mixing in a couple mid-day pheasant hunts.

Always go with a pocket full of tags depending on what will be in season , on my Elk hunt this year I’ll be carrying a deer , bear , and wolf tag along with a fishing license. Mostly depends on how much time you have on your trip.

Colorado has fairly short seasons, so I usually intentionally DON'T overlap them, so I can focus my efforts on a specific species at one time, and have an excuse to be out all fall.

I'm going to buy a bear tag this year, though, as a target of opportunity.

As a resident in MT, I always make sure the wife, daughter and I all have a pocket full of tags for everything, its pretty reasonable cost wise. Not sure what that would cost as a nonresident though. Think i would have a fishing license and upland bird as a non resident at least, location of hunt dependent of course, mountain grouse are some fine camp meat and plentyful, and the fishing is pretty awesome in the areas I hunt. I guess budget would dictate what to buy, there are always chances for wolf, bear, lion, etc any given year.

When I hunted Idaho as a resident I bought the sportsman’s pack so I had everything. When I hunted Alaska I always had a fishing license and usually a second opportunity tag like caribou or bear. Now tags are just costing more than I want to spend so maybe small game but that’s it.

We went on a small Colorado ranch some years back. Buddy says that landowner will Get deer tags for us. Don’t worry about the draw. Of course, it was the one year he didn’t get landowner tags. You guessed it, 30 yards away from an unsuspecting 170” buck with an elk tag in my pocket. Ugh.

A nonresident MT elk tag comes with an upland bird, small game and fishing built in to the combination license. No need to buy other tags to take advantage of those opportunities. Add a wolf tag for $50 and you are set for just about anything else you might encounter unless you are hunting an area with OTC antlerless whitetail tags ($70). You can buy a bear tag or a lion tag as well for $350 but the chances of running into a lion without hounds is very low and most bears are going in to hibernation just after the beginning of rifle season.

Waterfowl might be an option dependent upon where you are hunting and would require a federal and state migratory bird stamp. Of course coyotes are available in most of the state and can be hunted by anyone without license.

I'm contemplating buying a wolf tag this year in Montana. Not because I want a wolf, but because I know the community appreciates every hard won wolf removed from the food chain. I don't expect to see a single one, but I'm sure FWP will put that extra $50 to good use.

I carried a .410 derringer last year in Idaho in case I tripped over a grouse. I'm going to skip it this year. Not going to risk cooking birds in a backcountry camp with bears.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back