Oregon Points

Kiwi

I’m finding Oregon point application confusing. For Oregon do you just buy a deer point, or elk point, or is the point specifically for a series?

I purchased a deer and elk point last night but concerned I messed it up.

You use the point saver numbers, 199 for a deer point and 299 for elk. That will give you a point for each to use when and where you want.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Should apply for sheep, goat and a pronghorn point. You bought a license to get the deer and elk points so go large.

Oregon’s online system is as user-unfriendly as it gets. How do you think you messed it up?

sheep and goat don't use the point system,,they are strait up draw,,but be aware that only certain units have a non-res tag available for sheep and goat. antelope point is code 499,199 deer,299 elk

Kiwi,

Who told you Oregon was a good place for a NR to apply? Those days ended long long ago. It's not even worth it if you have expendable money. Extremely poor ROI for NR's.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Should apply for sheep, goat and a pronghorn point. You bought a license to get the deer and elk points so go large.

Thanks for the tip, I did apply for sheep and goat. Super long odds worth a try. I didn’t bother with pronghorn as I am buying points in WY and have already shot an ok one.

Oregon’s online system is as user-unfriendly as it gets. How do you think you messed it up?

Yes I agree, not an easy system to use. I was worried there was a need to buy points for a specific series, and to make it worse I haven’t really got my head around the difference series.

sheep and goat don't use the point system,,they are strait up draw,,but be aware that only certain units have a non-res tag available for sheep and goat. antelope point is code 499,199 deer,299 elk
Thanks, I saw the units that have NR sheep and goat tags and applied for thoses.

Kiwi,

Who told you Oregon was a good place for a NR to apply? Those days ended long long ago. It's not even worth it if you have expendable money. Extremely poor ROI for NR's.

I know OR is not the best for NR but I am planning to return for a visit as I went to OSU. I figure if I’m visiting my old university I may as well go for a hunt. So decided to buy points and apply for goat and sheep too. Seemed like a good plan at the time, time will tell. I probably could of just got OTC tags I guess.

Yes I agree, not an easy system to use. I was worried there was a need to buy points for a specific series, and to make it worse I haven’t really got my head around the difference series.

Most buck tags are in the 100 series and a point in that series works for any hunt in the 100 series. There are also 600 series deer tags which are mostly antlerless hunts and that is a different point that is only good for 600 series hunts. Elk are all just 200 series so there is no way you could mess that up.

Zim is correct as far as elk hunts go. I can't think of one that a nonresident could draw with limited points that are better than general seasons. Deer and Spring Bear is a different story, there are some hunts that even a NR could draw with just a few points that are solid hunts in my opinion anyhow...

Thanks Joe! That’s the info I was after re 100 vs 600. Also good to hear my points will be put to good use for deer at least. I didnt see spring bear points when I purchased my other points, will go back and have another look. I can’t wait to return to Oregon, maybe next year.

you would have needed to purchace your spring bear points by feb 10th,,too late now,,,its# 799 by the way

Nowadays you can still apply for a point starting on July 1 until some time in the Fall so it's not necessarily too late, just too late to apply for an actual Spring bear tag this year.

I wonder if you could hunt the sw Oregon spring tag,"with caps" then buy your 700 point later?do you know of anyone that has?I quit thinking about the sw ore tag because of this.I know you cant buy the sw tag and get a point in the feb 10th drawing as far as I know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back