NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Oregon Chukar Opener

elkrchr

I normally do not hunt chukars until Thanksgiving due to the hot weather normally associated with the opener. However, this year I was persuaded to go over on the opener because a very good friend of mine had a deer tag for the unit/area we hunt chukars and he was gracious enough to allow my nine year old son an opportunity to fill the tag under Oregon's Mentored Youth Program. We spent the day prior to the bird opener chasing deer and throughout the day put my son within 50-100 yards of five different bucks. I must say I'm very proud of his ethics as buck fever got the best of him each and every opportunity. He made the decision not to shoot because he was to excited and could not keep the crosshairs steady. Hopefully he'll be rewarded next season!

On to the bird opener. Five minutes into our ascent, I was reminded why I always wait until the weather cools off to hunt the red-legged devils. It was hot, the hillsides steep and I was already soaked with sweat! After reaching the top, a large covey of chukar proceeded to jump wild (acting like late season birds), set their wings and coasted to the bottom. Some choice words were said and then my buddy and I started to work the ridge top. Long story short, the birds worked us over pretty good, we both ran out of water, but by lunch time we each had managed to bag four birds. It felt great to get picked up at the bottom of the canyon, but we were both ready for a massage and/or a soak in a hot tub, neither of which were available to us. I'm looking forward to spending more time in that country later this year. Once the cold weather sets in and the snow flies it will be game on!

Attachments

• Chukar 2.jpg
    Chukar 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 325
  • chukar 3.jpg
    chukar 3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Chukar 1.jpg
    Chukar 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 325
No dogs this trip, primarily because of the heat and lack of water. There are also rattlesnakes out and about during the early season. If the country wasn't so big and steep, I'd probably take the dogs. Right now their relegated to grouse, quail and pheasant. However, once Jack Frost get's on his bandwagon, the dogs are going to get a workout!

Have you been back yet? I am waiting for it to dry out a bit so the gumbo doesn't stick to the boots and make them weigh 10 lbs each.

Haven't been back yet. I still have a cow elk tag for that country and hope to fill it by the season end (Dec. 31st). It will probably be January before we head over again.

I normally do not hunt chukars until Thanksgiving due to the hot weather normally associated with the opener. However, this year I was persuaded to go over on the opener because a very good friend of mine had a deer tag for the unit/area we hunt chukars and he was gracious enough to allow my nine year old son an opportunity to fill the tag under Oregon's Mentored Youth Program. We spent the day prior to the bird opener chasing deer and throughout the day put my son within 50-100 yards of five different bucks. I must say I'm very proud of his ethics as buck fever got the best of him each and every opportunity. He made the decision not to shoot because he was to excited and could not keep the crosshairs steady. Hopefully he'll be rewarded next season!

On to the bird opener. Five minutes into our ascent, I was reminded why I always wait until the weather cools off to hunt the red-legged devils. It was hot, the hillsides steep and I was already soaked with sweat! After reaching the top, a large covey of chukar proceeded to jump wild (acting like late season birds), set their wings and coasted to the bottom. Some choice words were said and then my buddy and I started to work the ridge top. Long story short, the birds worked us over pretty good, we both ran out of water, but by lunch time we each had managed to bag four birds. It felt great to get picked up at the bottom of the canyon, but we were both ready for a massage and/or a soak in a hot tub, neither of which were available to us. I'm looking forward to spending more time in that country later this year. Once the cold weather sets in and the snow flies it will be game on!
I hear ya on the heat thing. My dad always said as we left the car (hiking, skiing other), "if you're comfortable now you won't be in a few minutes". Great pictures

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back